Aug 13, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT
Justin Morneau has missed 31 games since a knee to the helmet while breaking up a double play on July 7 left him with a concussion and manager Ron Gardenhire revealed today that the Twins have decided to abandon any timetable they had for his return.
Initially expected to miss a short period of time, Morneau has struggled with post-concussion symptoms following any attempts to engage in baseball activities. Concussions are incredibly difficult to predict, but at this point there’s a very real possibility Morneau will not play again this season.
Morneau’s friend, fellow Canadian, and former Twins third baseman Corey Koskie never recovered from the concussion he suffered in 2006, with the resulting symptoms ending one of his best seasons and ultimately his career at age 33. There’s no reason to assume Morneau’s situation will mirror Koskie’s, but clearly something very significant is wrong with the former MVP.
Prior to the concussion Morneau was having an even better season than he had while winning the award in 2006, hitting .345/.437/.618 with 18 homers and 25 doubles in 81 games to rank second in the league with a career-high 1.055 OPS. Michael Cuddyer will continue to play first base in his absence, with Jason Kubel and Delmon Young in the outfield corners and Jim Thome at designated hitter.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)