Aug 13, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
Justin Morneau has missed 31 games since a knee to the helmet while breaking up a double play on July 7 left him with a concussion and manager Ron Gardenhire revealed today that the Twins have decided to abandon any timetable they had for his return.
Initially expected to miss a short period of time, Morneau has struggled with post-concussion symptoms following any attempts to engage in baseball activities. Concussions are incredibly difficult to predict, but at this point there’s a very real possibility Morneau will not play again this season.
Morneau’s friend, fellow Canadian, and former Twins third baseman Corey Koskie never recovered from the concussion he suffered in 2006, with the resulting symptoms ending one of his best seasons and ultimately his career at age 33. There’s no reason to assume Morneau’s situation will mirror Koskie’s, but clearly something very significant is wrong with the former MVP.
Prior to the concussion Morneau was having an even better season than he had while winning the award in 2006, hitting .345/.437/.618 with 18 homers and 25 doubles in 81 games to rank second in the league with a career-high 1.055 OPS. Michael Cuddyer will continue to play first base in his absence, with Jason Kubel and Delmon Young in the outfield corners and Jim Thome at designated hitter.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)