Aug 13, 2010, 1:38 PM EST
According to Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse, Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed that the newly-acquired Jose Guillen will be the everyday right fielder, moving Aubrey Huff back to first base.
What does it tell you when even Dayton Moore and the Royals preferred to use Guillen almost exclusively as a designated hitter this season?
Huff is no great shakes as an outfielder himself, but this decision also means that the hot-hitting Pat Burrell will remain the everyday left fielder, effectively putting two of the worst defensive outfielders in all of baseball on one field at the same time. It’s a good thing Andres Torres has a background as a track athlete, because he’s gonna need it playing center field between these two.
Defense aside, Giants fans should already be concerned that Guillen has batted just .175 (17-for-97) with just two home runs and 12 RBI since the start of July. Fortunately, the Royals are picking up most of the tab on this one, so if he’s lousy or a malcontent, the Giants have no obligation to keep him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)