Aug 14, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the contract includes a club option for 2016.
3:08 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays have signed Ricky Romero to a five-year, $30.1 million extension.
According to Rosenthal, it is the largest guarantee for any pitcher with less than two years of service time. The contract will cover the 2011-2015 seasons and if my calculations are correct, this would buy out his first year of free agency. It equals the deal given to Yovani Gallardo this April.
Romero, 25, is 22-16 over his first 52 major league starts, including a 3.53 ERA through 23 starts this season.
An interesting contrast is Brett Anderson’s recent extension with the Athletics. He was signed to a four-year, $12.5 million contract with an $8 million club option for 2014 and a $12 million club option for 2015 (his first year of free agency). If he plays out the entire length of the contract, Anderson would have the chance to make $31 million, nearly equaling the Romero deal.
Not saying that the Romero deal is bad, necessarily, but Anderson’s deal comes with considerably less risk.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (252)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)