Aug 14, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the contract includes a club option for 2016.
3:08 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays have signed Ricky Romero to a five-year, $30.1 million extension.
According to Rosenthal, it is the largest guarantee for any pitcher with less than two years of service time. The contract will cover the 2011-2015 seasons and if my calculations are correct, this would buy out his first year of free agency. It equals the deal given to Yovani Gallardo this April.
Romero, 25, is 22-16 over his first 52 major league starts, including a 3.53 ERA through 23 starts this season.
An interesting contrast is Brett Anderson’s recent extension with the Athletics. He was signed to a four-year, $12.5 million contract with an $8 million club option for 2014 and a $12 million club option for 2015 (his first year of free agency). If he plays out the entire length of the contract, Anderson would have the chance to make $31 million, nearly equaling the Romero deal.
Not saying that the Romero deal is bad, necessarily, but Anderson’s deal comes with considerably less risk.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)