Aug 14, 2010, 5:24 PM EST
Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury is headed back to the 15-day disabled list due to lingering discomfort in the area of his rib cage.
The writing was on the wall when Ellsbury was lifted from Friday’s game and sent back to Boston for an MRI on his once-fractured ribs. The Red Sox are still very much alive in the American League East, but it may be time to consider shutting the speedy outfielder down for the rest of the season. He’s been playing in pain since April and isn’t likely to make a full recovery until he is allowed several consecutive months of rest.
Ellsbury, 26, has played in only 18 games in 2010 and has posted a measly .192/.241/.244 batting line when healthy. He’s also swiped seven bases on eight attempts.
Young right-hander Michael Bowden has been recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding roster move and will be available out of the bullpen until Dustin Pedroia is activated next week.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)