Aug 14, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jacoby Ellsbury is snakebit.
As a result of the tumble Ellsbury took over the first base bag on Friday night, he reinjured his left side and back. According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, he is headed back to Boston for an MRI.
“It’s very concerning,” said manager Terry Francona. “The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.”
Ellsbury said he experienced sharp pains in his back and side during and after the game. The Red Sox will obviously take every precaution, but it sure sounds like another lengthy trip to the disabled list could be in his future.
Friday, 10:58 PM: Well, this is no good. Jacoby Ellsbury left tonight’s game against the Rangers with left side pain, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
Ellsbury took a bit of a tumble over the first base bag while trying to beat out a ground ball on the first play of the game, so that likely had something to do with his early exit. The speedy center fielder remained in the game through the first three innings, but was replaced in center field by Darnell McDonald to begin the fourth.
We knew Ellsbury wasn’t completely pain-free when he returned, but he said it was something he could play through. I’m speculating, but the fact that he took himself out of the game is a pretty bad sign.
Stay tuned for more.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)