Aug 14, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jacoby Ellsbury is snakebit.
As a result of the tumble Ellsbury took over the first base bag on Friday night, he reinjured his left side and back. According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, he is headed back to Boston for an MRI.
“It’s very concerning,” said manager Terry Francona. “The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.”
Ellsbury said he experienced sharp pains in his back and side during and after the game. The Red Sox will obviously take every precaution, but it sure sounds like another lengthy trip to the disabled list could be in his future.
Friday, 10:58 PM: Well, this is no good. Jacoby Ellsbury left tonight’s game against the Rangers with left side pain, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
Ellsbury took a bit of a tumble over the first base bag while trying to beat out a ground ball on the first play of the game, so that likely had something to do with his early exit. The speedy center fielder remained in the game through the first three innings, but was replaced in center field by Darnell McDonald to begin the fourth.
We knew Ellsbury wasn’t completely pain-free when he returned, but he said it was something he could play through. I’m speculating, but the fact that he took himself out of the game is a pretty bad sign.
Stay tuned for more.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)