Aug 14, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jacoby Ellsbury is snakebit.
As a result of the tumble Ellsbury took over the first base bag on Friday night, he reinjured his left side and back. According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, he is headed back to Boston for an MRI.
“It’s very concerning,” said manager Terry Francona. “The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.”
Ellsbury said he experienced sharp pains in his back and side during and after the game. The Red Sox will obviously take every precaution, but it sure sounds like another lengthy trip to the disabled list could be in his future.
Friday, 10:58 PM: Well, this is no good. Jacoby Ellsbury left tonight’s game against the Rangers with left side pain, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
Ellsbury took a bit of a tumble over the first base bag while trying to beat out a ground ball on the first play of the game, so that likely had something to do with his early exit. The speedy center fielder remained in the game through the first three innings, but was replaced in center field by Darnell McDonald to begin the fourth.
We knew Ellsbury wasn’t completely pain-free when he returned, but he said it was something he could play through. I’m speculating, but the fact that he took himself out of the game is a pretty bad sign.
Stay tuned for more.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)