Aug 14, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. Jacoby Ellsbury is snakebit.
As a result of the tumble Ellsbury took over the first base bag on Friday night, he reinjured his left side and back. According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, he is headed back to Boston for an MRI.
“It’s very concerning,” said manager Terry Francona. “The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.”
Ellsbury said he experienced sharp pains in his back and side during and after the game. The Red Sox will obviously take every precaution, but it sure sounds like another lengthy trip to the disabled list could be in his future.
Friday, 10:58 PM: Well, this is no good. Jacoby Ellsbury left tonight’s game against the Rangers with left side pain, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
Ellsbury took a bit of a tumble over the first base bag while trying to beat out a ground ball on the first play of the game, so that likely had something to do with his early exit. The speedy center fielder remained in the game through the first three innings, but was replaced in center field by Darnell McDonald to begin the fourth.
We knew Ellsbury wasn’t completely pain-free when he returned, but he said it was something he could play through. I’m speculating, but the fact that he took himself out of the game is a pretty bad sign.
Stay tuned for more.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)