Aug 14, 2010, 12:06 PM EST
Craig already roasted Jeff Francoeur in epic fashion earlier this week, so I’m not going to try to top that one. Still, the sickness appears to be contagious in the Mets’ locker room.
While Luis Castillo hasn’t requested a trade, he told Dan Martin of the New York Post that he is not willing to accept a backup role in Queens.
“I can’t be here anymore. I know I’m
not going to be here next year.”
“They want to go with young guys, I guess. That’s what they tell me now. I’m not ready to be a backup.”
Limited to just 62 games this season due to a foot injury, Castillo is batting .241/.335/.281 with zero homers and 15 RBI in 199 at-bats. Fed up with his poor production and lack of range, the Mets recently benched their high-priced second baseman in favor of Ruben Tejada. The 20-year-old is batting just .183 in 120 at-bats this season and is hitless in his last 23 at-bats dating back to July 16.
There’s an argument to be made that Castillo is actually the better player than Tejada right now, but that isn’t saying a whole lot, really. Since signing a four-year, $24 million contract after the 2007 season, Castillo is batting .273/.367/.320 with a 687 OPS. That wouldn’t be so bad if his speed was still an asset. Unfortunately, it just isn’t. Meanwhile, his defense has declined significantly since his last Gold Glove in 2005.
Castillo, 34, is still owed $6 million next season, so if Omar Minaya couldn’t find a taker after his bounceback 2009 campaign (on offense, anyway), it’s pretty hard to believe they’ll find him a home this new winter, either. Like the Oliver Perez disaster, Castillo is another situation where they either have to admit their mistake and release him or waste a roster spot. For now, they are going with the whole wasting the roster spot strategy.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)