Aug 14, 2010, 11:11 AM EST
The Orioles improved to 9-2 under Buck Showalter with a 5-0 win over the Rays on Friday night, establishing their best 11-game stretch since the 2005 season.
That’s all well and good, but what the heck were they wearing? Turns out the solid orange look was actually a throwback to an ensemble worn twice during the 1971 season.
Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wasn’t too crazy about the whole vintage look.
“Take a picture because you won’t see them again,” Showalter said. “Someone said they’re like Halloween candy corn, but I’ll take it.”
I’m usually all about the vintage unis, but they looked more like a group of convicts collecting trash on the side of the road than a baseball team. I got flashbacks to watching Nailz wrestle the Big Boss Man in the early 90s.
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 3
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)