Aug 14, 2010, 11:11 AM EST
The Orioles improved to 9-2 under Buck Showalter with a 5-0 win over the Rays on Friday night, establishing their best 11-game stretch since the 2005 season.
That’s all well and good, but what the heck were they wearing? Turns out the solid orange look was actually a throwback to an ensemble worn twice during the 1971 season.
Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wasn’t too crazy about the whole vintage look.
“Take a picture because you won’t see them again,” Showalter said. “Someone said they’re like Halloween candy corn, but I’ll take it.”
I’m usually all about the vintage unis, but they looked more like a group of convicts collecting trash on the side of the road than a baseball team. I got flashbacks to watching Nailz wrestle the Big Boss Man in the early 90s.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)