Aug 14, 2010, 11:11 AM EDT
The Orioles improved to 9-2 under Buck Showalter with a 5-0 win over the Rays on Friday night, establishing their best 11-game stretch since the 2005 season.
That’s all well and good, but what the heck were they wearing? Turns out the solid orange look was actually a throwback to an ensemble worn twice during the 1971 season.
Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wasn’t too crazy about the whole vintage look.
“Take a picture because you won’t see them again,” Showalter said. “Someone said they’re like Halloween candy corn, but I’ll take it.”
I’m usually all about the vintage unis, but they looked more like a group of convicts collecting trash on the side of the road than a baseball team. I got flashbacks to watching Nailz wrestle the Big Boss Man in the early 90s.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)