Aug 14, 2010, 11:11 AM EDT
The Orioles improved to 9-2 under Buck Showalter with a 5-0 win over the Rays on Friday night, establishing their best 11-game stretch since the 2005 season.
That’s all well and good, but what the heck were they wearing? Turns out the solid orange look was actually a throwback to an ensemble worn twice during the 1971 season.
Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wasn’t too crazy about the whole vintage look.
“Take a picture because you won’t see them again,” Showalter said. “Someone said they’re like Halloween candy corn, but I’ll take it.”
I’m usually all about the vintage unis, but they looked more like a group of convicts collecting trash on the side of the road than a baseball team. I got flashbacks to watching Nailz wrestle the Big Boss Man in the early 90s.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)