Aug 14, 2010, 11:11 AM EDT
The Orioles improved to 9-2 under Buck Showalter with a 5-0 win over the Rays on Friday night, establishing their best 11-game stretch since the 2005 season.
That’s all well and good, but what the heck were they wearing? Turns out the solid orange look was actually a throwback to an ensemble worn twice during the 1971 season.
Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wasn’t too crazy about the whole vintage look.
“Take a picture because you won’t see them again,” Showalter said. “Someone said they’re like Halloween candy corn, but I’ll take it.”
I’m usually all about the vintage unis, but they looked more like a group of convicts collecting trash on the side of the road than a baseball team. I got flashbacks to watching Nailz wrestle the Big Boss Man in the early 90s.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)