Aug 14, 2010, 7:48 PM EST
As first reported by Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers have placed infielder Cristian Guzman on the 15-day disabled list with a strain of his right quadriceps muscle.
Guzman had missed a couple of consecutive games this week due to the injury and showed little improvement when he arrived at the ballpark on Saturday afternoon. Pedro Strop has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City and will provide depth in the Rangers’ bullpen until the club sorts out its infield depth.
The Rangers acquired Guzman from the Nationals at the trade deadline for two minor league right-handers. He was hitting .282/.327/.361 with two home runs and 25 RBI for the Nats but has hit just .088 with a .139 on-base percentage in 34 at-bats in Texas.
Strop, 25, has a 2.11 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 50 strikeouts in 38.1 innings of relief this season up at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He’s made four big league appearances so far in 2010.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)