Aug 14, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
As first reported by Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers have placed infielder Cristian Guzman on the 15-day disabled list with a strain of his right quadriceps muscle.
Guzman had missed a couple of consecutive games this week due to the injury and showed little improvement when he arrived at the ballpark on Saturday afternoon. Pedro Strop has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City and will provide depth in the Rangers’ bullpen until the club sorts out its infield depth.
The Rangers acquired Guzman from the Nationals at the trade deadline for two minor league right-handers. He was hitting .282/.327/.361 with two home runs and 25 RBI for the Nats but has hit just .088 with a .139 on-base percentage in 34 at-bats in Texas.
Strop, 25, has a 2.11 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 50 strikeouts in 38.1 innings of relief this season up at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He’s made four big league appearances so far in 2010.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)