Aug 14, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
As first reported by Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers have placed infielder Cristian Guzman on the 15-day disabled list with a strain of his right quadriceps muscle.
Guzman had missed a couple of consecutive games this week due to the injury and showed little improvement when he arrived at the ballpark on Saturday afternoon. Pedro Strop has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City and will provide depth in the Rangers’ bullpen until the club sorts out its infield depth.
The Rangers acquired Guzman from the Nationals at the trade deadline for two minor league right-handers. He was hitting .282/.327/.361 with two home runs and 25 RBI for the Nats but has hit just .088 with a .139 on-base percentage in 34 at-bats in Texas.
Strop, 25, has a 2.11 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 50 strikeouts in 38.1 innings of relief this season up at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He’s made four big league appearances so far in 2010.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)