Aug 14, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
If this week is any indication, the Rangers will be very exciting to watch in the postseason.
They played in yet another thriller on Friday night, this time against the Red Sox, winning 10-9 on a walkoff solo blast by Nelson Cruz in the 11th inning.
The Rangers actually trailed in this one 8-2 when they came to bat in the bottom of the fourth inning. You’ve probably seen by now how they won it, but the most exciting play of the game was how they tied it in the eighth.
Josh Hamilton, who went 4-for-5 with a home run and four runs scored, led off the bottom of the eighth with a double. Vladimir Guerrero followed, hitting a slow-rolling ground ball up the middle. Jed Lowrie was able to snag it, throwing across his body to first base. It was almost double-take worthy, but Vlad dove headfirst into first base and beat it out. Yes, that really happened.
That’s not all. Hamilton never broke stride on the play, scoring all the way from second base.
Rangers manager Ron Washington told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he feels pretty fortunate to have Hamilton on his squad.
“That’s what he does: a five-tool guy,” Washington said. “A five-tool
guy — run, throw, field, hit and hit with power — that’s what Josh
does. He can do it all.”
I’ll say. In addition to leading the American League with a .362 batting average and .633 slugging percentage, Hamilton is second in OPS (1.044), third in on-base percentage (.411), fourth in runs scored (79), sixth in homers (25) and eighth in RBI (79). An individual performance like Friday night’s only bolsters his case for the American League MVP.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)