Aug 14, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
According to Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies, Jeff Francis is headed to the disabled list with tendinitis in his left shoulder.
Francis missed the entire 2009 season due to shoulder surgery and didn’t make his debut this season until May 16. The 29-year-old southpaw is 4-4 with a 4.56 ERA through 16 starts so far this year. He was very solid to begin the season, posting a 3.53 ERA over his first eight starts, however he has struggled to a 5.83 ERA over his last eight.
According to Ringolsby, Eric Young Jr. will take his roster spot initially, but Jhoulys Chacin is expected to take his place in the starting rotation against the Dodgers on Tuesday.
Chacin was sent back down to Triple-A Colorado Springs shortly after Jorge De La Rosa returned from the disabled list last month. The 22-year-old left-hander has a 3.64 ERA in 12 starts with the Rockies this season, averaging 9.3 K/9. You hate to see it happen under these circumstances, but Chacin didn’t deserve to go to the minors in the first place.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)