Aug 14, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
According to Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies, Jeff Francis is headed to the disabled list with tendinitis in his left shoulder.
Francis missed the entire 2009 season due to shoulder surgery and didn’t make his debut this season until May 16. The 29-year-old southpaw is 4-4 with a 4.56 ERA through 16 starts so far this year. He was very solid to begin the season, posting a 3.53 ERA over his first eight starts, however he has struggled to a 5.83 ERA over his last eight.
According to Ringolsby, Eric Young Jr. will take his roster spot initially, but Jhoulys Chacin is expected to take his place in the starting rotation against the Dodgers on Tuesday.
Chacin was sent back down to Triple-A Colorado Springs shortly after Jorge De La Rosa returned from the disabled list last month. The 22-year-old left-hander has a 3.64 ERA in 12 starts with the Rockies this season, averaging 9.3 K/9. You hate to see it happen under these circumstances, but Chacin didn’t deserve to go to the minors in the first place.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 13
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 64
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)