Aug 14, 2010, 1:22 PM EST
According to Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies, Jeff Francis is headed to the disabled list with tendinitis in his left shoulder.
Francis missed the entire 2009 season due to shoulder surgery and didn’t make his debut this season until May 16. The 29-year-old southpaw is 4-4 with a 4.56 ERA through 16 starts so far this year. He was very solid to begin the season, posting a 3.53 ERA over his first eight starts, however he has struggled to a 5.83 ERA over his last eight.
According to Ringolsby, Eric Young Jr. will take his roster spot initially, but Jhoulys Chacin is expected to take his place in the starting rotation against the Dodgers on Tuesday.
Chacin was sent back down to Triple-A Colorado Springs shortly after Jorge De La Rosa returned from the disabled list last month. The 22-year-old left-hander has a 3.64 ERA in 12 starts with the Rockies this season, averaging 9.3 K/9. You hate to see it happen under these circumstances, but Chacin didn’t deserve to go to the minors in the first place.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)