Aug 14, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
According to Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies, Jeff Francis is headed to the disabled list with tendinitis in his left shoulder.
Francis missed the entire 2009 season due to shoulder surgery and didn’t make his debut this season until May 16. The 29-year-old southpaw is 4-4 with a 4.56 ERA through 16 starts so far this year. He was very solid to begin the season, posting a 3.53 ERA over his first eight starts, however he has struggled to a 5.83 ERA over his last eight.
According to Ringolsby, Eric Young Jr. will take his roster spot initially, but Jhoulys Chacin is expected to take his place in the starting rotation against the Dodgers on Tuesday.
Chacin was sent back down to Triple-A Colorado Springs shortly after Jorge De La Rosa returned from the disabled list last month. The 22-year-old left-hander has a 3.64 ERA in 12 starts with the Rockies this season, averaging 9.3 K/9. You hate to see it happen under these circumstances, but Chacin didn’t deserve to go to the minors in the first place.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)