Aug 14, 2010, 11:20 PM EST
Dodgers manager Joe Torre told reporters on Saturday afternoon that he will make an announcement about his future sometime after Labor Day. Torre, who turned 70 in early July, is weighing whether to retire or continue his role as Los Angeles’ skipper.
Torre said that he still enjoys managing and is “very comfortable” in his current role, but does not want to make a decision and cause a distraction before the Dodgers’ playoff hopes have gained a little more clarity. For now, the club is nine games back of the Padres in the National League West and 6.5 games back of the Giants in the hunt for the Wild Card.
It’s been a disappointing season to say the least, but the Dodgers have a great young nucleus of talent and that job will draw some major candidates if Torre does decide to leave.
The veteran skipper has a 2305-1972 managerial record. He won six pennants and four World Series titles with the Yankees but has not led another team that far. The Torre-led Dodgers lost in last year’s NLCS to the Phillies. It appears they will miss the playoffs this season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)