Aug 14, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Joe Torre told reporters on Saturday afternoon that he will make an announcement about his future sometime after Labor Day. Torre, who turned 70 in early July, is weighing whether to retire or continue his role as Los Angeles’ skipper.
Torre said that he still enjoys managing and is “very comfortable” in his current role, but does not want to make a decision and cause a distraction before the Dodgers’ playoff hopes have gained a little more clarity. For now, the club is nine games back of the Padres in the National League West and 6.5 games back of the Giants in the hunt for the Wild Card.
It’s been a disappointing season to say the least, but the Dodgers have a great young nucleus of talent and that job will draw some major candidates if Torre does decide to leave.
The veteran skipper has a 2305-1972 managerial record. He won six pennants and four World Series titles with the Yankees but has not led another team that far. The Torre-led Dodgers lost in last year’s NLCS to the Phillies. It appears they will miss the playoffs this season.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)