Aug 15, 2010, 11:18 AM EST
Hey, this guy’s pretty good.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez slugged three home runs and collected a total of five RBI in Saturday’s 8-3 defeat of the Royals. He delivered a solo shot in the sixth inning, a two-run shot in the seventh and another two-runner in the top of the ninth.
It took Rodriguez a grueling 47 at-bats to climb from career home run No. 599 to 600, but he now has five dingers in his last nine games and an .896 OPS over 47 August at-bats.
Not that the Yankees need the extra help, but A-Rod seems to be getting hot at the right time. He was exceptional in last year’s postseason, helping the Yanks to their 27th World Series title, and there’s a good chance he will play a major role this October.
The Yankees currently hold a two-game lead over the Rays for first place in the American League East with 46 games to play. They will wrap up a three-game set in Kansas City on Sunday afternoon.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27