Aug 15, 2010, 10:12 PM EST
Last week, former pitcher and current Washington Nationals broadcaster Rob Dibble caused a little stir when he made some degrading comments on the air about a couple of female fans, wondering why they wouldn’t stop talking, how they must be embarrassing their husbands, and theorizing that “there must be a sale tomorrow.”
Now he would like to apologize:
The other night I made an off-handed comment, the meaning of which may have been misconstrued beyond what was said. If any fan of this great game took offense, then he or she should know that this was neither my intention nor my history in the game.
I have had the privilege of knowing a great many fans of all backgrounds who are students of the game. Many of baseball’s most insightful fans, television viewers, and callers to my radio show are women.
OK so maybe that’s not technically an apology, more of an explanation/defense. To Dibble’s credit, he did come back with a “humble and sincere apology” on Sunday. Much better.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to take Mr. Dibble shopping. Maybe we can talk some baseball.
- UPDATE: The Braves and Padres are nearing a Justin Upton trade 31
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 63
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 10
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)