Aug 15, 2010, 10:12 PM EDT
Last week, former pitcher and current Washington Nationals broadcaster Rob Dibble caused a little stir when he made some degrading comments on the air about a couple of female fans, wondering why they wouldn’t stop talking, how they must be embarrassing their husbands, and theorizing that “there must be a sale tomorrow.”
Now he would like to apologize:
The other night I made an off-handed comment, the meaning of which may have been misconstrued beyond what was said. If any fan of this great game took offense, then he or she should know that this was neither my intention nor my history in the game.
I have had the privilege of knowing a great many fans of all backgrounds who are students of the game. Many of baseball’s most insightful fans, television viewers, and callers to my radio show are women.
OK so maybe that’s not technically an apology, more of an explanation/defense. To Dibble’s credit, he did come back with a “humble and sincere apology” on Sunday. Much better.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to take Mr. Dibble shopping. Maybe we can talk some baseball.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)