Aug 15, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia began a minor league rehab assignment on Saturday at Triple-A Pawtucket and finished 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored, according to the Boston Globe’s Dan Hickling. Not a bad start.
“It felt good,” he said. “It’s been a while since I played. Later in
the game I was a little tired, but overall, I felt fine. It’s the most
I’ve done since I got hurt, so I’m pretty excited about it.”
Pedroia has been sidelined since June 25 with a broken bone in his foot, but he’s managed to stay active and is well ahead of the recovery timetable that doctors laid out at the time of the original diagnosis. If all goes well this weekend, he could return to Boston’s starting lineup as early as Tuesday.
The scrappy second baseman was batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 home runs, eight stolen bases and 41 RBI in 295 at-bats, and he should pick up right where he left off.
The Red Sox are six games back of the Yankees in the American League East and probably won’t catch the Bombers. But they face only a four-game deficit in the hunt for the Wild Card and may be able to surpass the Rays with a strong August and September.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)