Aug 15, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the mound Saturday for the first time since being arrested for assaulting and harassing the father of his girlfriend on Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Rodriguez was showered with boos from the home crowd as he entered, but he pitched a scoreless frame in a non-save situation and even talked with reporters after the game. Of course he didn’t say much.
“That’s something that’s personal,” Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Andy McCulllough when asked about
apologizing to his teammates. “I don’t think I have to share with you. I’m not going to comment on that. I’ve already said enough.”
K-Rod apologized to his teammates, Mets fans and higher-ups in the organization before Saturday’s game in a one-minute statement. He will enroll in anger management counseling and intends to make small steps toward being a better person. Honestly, we hope it all works it out. The 28-year-old has lost some serious velocity on his fastball and is only a shadow of his mid-2000s self, but that’s how athletics work for everyone. And he is still pretty darn good.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)