Aug 15, 2010, 8:48 AM EST
Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the mound Saturday for the first time since being arrested for assaulting and harassing the father of his girlfriend on Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Rodriguez was showered with boos from the home crowd as he entered, but he pitched a scoreless frame in a non-save situation and even talked with reporters after the game. Of course he didn’t say much.
“That’s something that’s personal,” Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Andy McCulllough when asked about
apologizing to his teammates. “I don’t think I have to share with you. I’m not going to comment on that. I’ve already said enough.”
K-Rod apologized to his teammates, Mets fans and higher-ups in the organization before Saturday’s game in a one-minute statement. He will enroll in anger management counseling and intends to make small steps toward being a better person. Honestly, we hope it all works it out. The 28-year-old has lost some serious velocity on his fastball and is only a shadow of his mid-2000s self, but that’s how athletics work for everyone. And he is still pretty darn good.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)