Aug 15, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the mound Saturday for the first time since being arrested for assaulting and harassing the father of his girlfriend on Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Rodriguez was showered with boos from the home crowd as he entered, but he pitched a scoreless frame in a non-save situation and even talked with reporters after the game. Of course he didn’t say much.
“That’s something that’s personal,” Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Andy McCulllough when asked about
apologizing to his teammates. “I don’t think I have to share with you. I’m not going to comment on that. I’ve already said enough.”
K-Rod apologized to his teammates, Mets fans and higher-ups in the organization before Saturday’s game in a one-minute statement. He will enroll in anger management counseling and intends to make small steps toward being a better person. Honestly, we hope it all works it out. The 28-year-old has lost some serious velocity on his fastball and is only a shadow of his mid-2000s self, but that’s how athletics work for everyone. And he is still pretty darn good.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)