Aug 15, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the mound Saturday for the first time since being arrested for assaulting and harassing the father of his girlfriend on Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Rodriguez was showered with boos from the home crowd as he entered, but he pitched a scoreless frame in a non-save situation and even talked with reporters after the game. Of course he didn’t say much.
“That’s something that’s personal,” Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Andy McCulllough when asked about
apologizing to his teammates. “I don’t think I have to share with you. I’m not going to comment on that. I’ve already said enough.”
K-Rod apologized to his teammates, Mets fans and higher-ups in the organization before Saturday’s game in a one-minute statement. He will enroll in anger management counseling and intends to make small steps toward being a better person. Honestly, we hope it all works it out. The 28-year-old has lost some serious velocity on his fastball and is only a shadow of his mid-2000s self, but that’s how athletics work for everyone. And he is still pretty darn good.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)