Aug 15, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
We already know that the Rangers will make an effort to lock up ace left-hander Cliff Lee this offseason. Now new CEO and managing partner Chuck Greenberg is saying that he also plans to work out an extension with outfielder Josh Hamilton in the very near future. This according to the Dallas Morning News.
“Keeping Josh here for the long haul is essential,” Greenberg said simply. “His performance on the field speaks for itself.”
Hamilton, 29, is under team control through 2012, but the Rangers may want to buy out his remaining arbitration-eligible years with an extension that also extends into his first few seasons of free agency. If he keeps up his torrid pace at the plate, it could save them money in the long run.
The former No. 1 overall pick is batting a ridiculous .364/.411/.639 this season with 26 home runs and 80 RBI in 440 at-bats. He also has eight stolen bases and is a strong defensive outfielder despite his bulky size. Injuries have been a problem in the past, but it’s hard to top a healthy Hamilton when it comes to ranking American League outfielders.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)