Aug 15, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
We already know that the Rangers will make an effort to lock up ace left-hander Cliff Lee this offseason. Now new CEO and managing partner Chuck Greenberg is saying that he also plans to work out an extension with outfielder Josh Hamilton in the very near future. This according to the Dallas Morning News.
“Keeping Josh here for the long haul is essential,” Greenberg said simply. “His performance on the field speaks for itself.”
Hamilton, 29, is under team control through 2012, but the Rangers may want to buy out his remaining arbitration-eligible years with an extension that also extends into his first few seasons of free agency. If he keeps up his torrid pace at the plate, it could save them money in the long run.
The former No. 1 overall pick is batting a ridiculous .364/.411/.639 this season with 26 home runs and 80 RBI in 440 at-bats. He also has eight stolen bases and is a strong defensive outfielder despite his bulky size. Injuries have been a problem in the past, but it’s hard to top a healthy Hamilton when it comes to ranking American League outfielders.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)