And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

Aug 16, 2010, 5:43 AM EDT

Tim Lincecum and the Giants get roughed up.

Padres 8, Giants 2: So much for Jonathan Sanchez’s big prediction. The Padres take two of three from San Francisco and run their lead to 3.5 games. Another distressingly bad start from Tim Lincecum (3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 5 ER). The scary question of the day: is he just lost, or is he attempting to pitch through an injury?

Twins 4, Athletics 2: David Pinto at Baseball Musings coined the term “short shutout” for a pitcher who didn’t go the distance but who didn’t allow any runs. I guess Kevin Slowey gets a “short no-hitter,” then, after being pulled following seven innings of no-hit ball. The fans booed Ron Gardenhire when he pulled Slowey. Gardenhire: “I’d boo me too.”  But he made the right call.

Reds 2, Marlins 0: Homer Bailey with six shutout innings, but the star
of this game was Reds’ radio color man Jeff Brantley who, during the
broadcast, was asked by a listener if he preferred Texas, Carolina, or
Kansas City barbecue. I was on the road and missed it, but my good
friend and former co-worker Mark was listening and he gives us a very
close-to-verbatim transcript:

“Debate?  The debate is I like all of them.  How bout that.  The thing
that you have to realize is that if you’re from Texas, or Kansas City,
or Carolina, well, obviously you think your barbecue is the best.  If
you are a barbecue connoisseur as I claim to be and I know that I am,
they’re all good.  That’s why you have different types of barbecue – so
you don’t have to eat the same thing every day.  Monday you’ll have
Kansas City, Tuesday you’ll have Carolina, Wednesday you’ll have Texas.
Then you go from those three days of ribs into the Boston Butt and into
the pulled pork.  Then you spend the weekend with the roasted chicken.”

Jeff Brantley really brings the game to life.

Royals 1, Yankees 0: Brian Bullington, bitches, you better aks someone (8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5K).

Braves
13, Dodgers 1
: No Chipper? No Heyward? No problem. Now, if Rick Ankiel
will just walk twice a game and if Alex Gonzalez will just drive in four every
day, the Bravos will be sitting pretty. OK, that’s jocularity. The
reality: for all the hand wringing over the injuries and the concerns
over people going cold in the lineup, Atlanta is going to live or die
based on the rotation. They can carry through if Jurrjens, Hanson and
Hudson stay solid. If not, forget it.

Indians 9, Mariners 1: Improbable: Travis Hafner comes off the DL to hit a grand slam off King Felix. More improbable: Hernandez gave up six runs, but none of them were earned. Even more improbable: Justin Masterson gave up only one hit, but walked six dudes and threw six shutout innings.

Rays 3, Orioles 2: I think we can all agree that Jeremy Hellickson is pretty good (6 IP, 3 H 1 ER, 5K). The Rays move on to face the Rangers now, which should be fun.

Tigers 13, White Sox 8: Chicago came back from being down 5-1 to take the lead and then the Tigers stepped on the accelerator. The Chisox are spinning out of control.

Nationals 5, Diamondbacks 3: A better start than last time for Strasburg (5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 7K), but a no-decision on the day. The two unearned runs were his fault, by the way, thanks to a throwing error. A bunch of dumbass fans ran onto the field to protest the Arizona immigration law. I don’t care what your issue is. I don’t care if I subscribe to it or not. Don’t interrupt friggin’ baseball games OK? Because if you do, I will totally change my view on one issue, and that’s on whether or not trespassing fans should be tased.

Astros 8, Pirates 2: Seven straight losses for Pittsburgh. Which is good, because I had a September series at PNC in mind for a little road trip, and frankly, I didn’t want to have to fight for tickets.

Cubs 9, Cardinals 7: The Cards follow up the big emotional sweep of the Reds by dropping two of three to the DOA Cubs at home, surrendering the division lead to Cincy. Derrek Lee hit two bombs, giving him four in three games. Too bad the whole “take a couple days off due to bereavement leave and come back and rake” thing isn’t the kind of routine anyone wants to follow.

Rangers 7, Red Sox 3: Texas is now 3-2 in the eight game Yankees-Red Sox-Rays gauntlet through which they’re running. Of course, I don’t suppose it will be 103 degrees in Arlington in October, so we may only be able to learn so much from this test.

Rockies 6, Brewers 5: A walkoff RBI single for Troy Tulowitzki in the latest  act of the “Trevor Hoffman is done” play.

Blue Jays 4, Angels 1: Rickey Romero celebrates his contract extension with a spiffy day on the mound (7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER). No homers for Jose Bautistia this series, which is a rarity these days.

Phillies 3, Mets 1: New York scored nine runs during their six game homestand. The only good thing that happened for them was when Angel Pagan thew out Kyle Kendrick out 9-3 on what should have been a single to right. By several steps. And that’s less good than freaky and mercifully game-shortening.

1. edd - Aug 16, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Since when does Tim Hudson play for the Giants ?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 16, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Since I’m a moron. I fixed it. Thanks. ;-)

3. Adam - Aug 16, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Glad the Cubs took 2 out of 3 against the cardinals this past weekend. both were all close games. Wow for the Royals shuting out the Yankees. I know the royals could be good but somewhere i think they could be low graded good. And than theres the White Sox, where its just a mess. The relieving pitching needs to be stragthen out. For the team thank god they got a day off. they probably needed it.

4. YankeesfanLen - Aug 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM

The temperature at game time in Kansas City was 15 degrees cooler Sunday vs. Saturday night. Yankee bats were 100% colder. An AJ Burnett complete game, one run effort (!?) completely negated bacause no one wanted to break that old saw “Yankees can’t beat a pitcher they’ve never seen”. Hope the Tigers haven’t heard this or we’ll be facing the entire rotation of the Mud Hens this week.
    Girardi was finally beginning to sound pissed about the awful August lack of production. Since a suggestion is always offered: Bring Cashman in, Atlanta-style, or maybe even Hal, to have a chat with the boys.

5. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM

The Reds got lucky and caught the Feesh coming off a four game winning streak, which this season always leads to a five game losing streak. Scrooge McLoria’s Teal Terribles polished their situational hitting to an almost mystical 0-for-27 this past weekend; in other news, Sean West is not going to be the next Josh Johnson, and Josh Johnson looks like he’s not going to be the previous Josh Johnson either. His last four starts have gravitated between mediocre and unwatchable and he’s been pounded like John Henry’s rail spikes twice. Scrooge and the Chihuahua must be aghast at seeing their K-Mart philosophy back on the scrapheap for yet another season.
    The good news: the Iron Giant continues to make adjustments, rifling doubles to the opposite field to garnish his periodic moonshots. Lost in the brouhaha (brouhaha? Ha ha ha ha) about his ridiculous hitting, something in the .450 range in August, is that the big guy has a howitzer for an arm. I don’t recall who it was he threw out the other day trying to go from first to third but the guy had one of those WTF looks on his face when he raised it from the dirt to hear himself being called out. Good fun.
    The Feesh have passed the strange attractor, going south this time, for the 19th time this season. They’re Cuban toast. Let’s sigh, resign ourselves, and wait to see if Cameron Maybin has finally figured out how to play Mays to the Iron Giant’s McCovey when he gets called back up on 9/1.

6. kcfan - Aug 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Maybe Bullington is finally going to live up to his expectations. His last start he went 6 innings and gave up 3 runs against the angels. Yesterday he went 8 innings and gave up only 2 hits, both that were ground ball singles. The minimum batters he could have face was 24, he faced 25. Sure it was the first time the yanks have faced him but after the game Jeter himself said “Whether we’d seen him once or 100 times, the way he threw today, he was going to beat us.”

7. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Can someone please explain to me just how a guy gives up 6 runs and none of them are ‘earned’? I know the Mariners are terrible, but is this actually possible? The record for most ‘unearned’ runs for a starting pitcher? Strasburg throwing the ball away himself, yet somehow they are ‘unearned’ runs? I can almost get my head around that, but Hernandez giving up 6 runs(on 1 error!) is amazing.

8. RichardInBigD - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Kiwicricket – If that error would have resulted in the third out of the inning had it not been committed, or if any of the runs scored came after that error plus two outs, all of those runs are unearned, since the third out should have been recorded. This is true even if the pitcher, himself, commits the error that leads to one of these often ugly innings…

9. bmoline - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM

If the error would have been the third out, everything that happens after that is unearned.

10. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM

If I recall correctly from the dueling scene in Barry Lyndon, Bullington had not yet received satisfaction. Has he now?

11. YankeesfanLen - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Jeter himself was 0 for 4 yesterday.Jeter himself better start hitting, and not into double plays.

12. APBA Guy - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM

That’s Lord Bullington to you, my good man.

13. APBA Guy - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Craig, kind of you not to mention that the A’s were swept in beautiful Target Field, and finished this road trip 1-5.
    However, the A’s announcers, always alert, are promoting “next year” already, with a great graphic showing the A’s “young staff” ERA since (insert random date here) at 2.87 and heralding Anderson’s long-term deal, along with the negotiations for same with the White Rabbit.
    Color man Ray Fosse, he of the Two Rings, does not even rate the A’s as spoiler quality. Meaning you have to pitch really badly against them for the A’s to exhibit any offense. And really bad Kevin Slowey was not. Four pitches, his 72-74 mph slow change the most effective, all on display especially in the 5th, when after a leadoff 2-base error, he struck out the side. The Minnesota fans were a bit restive after he was pulled, but being phlegmatic Norse, the grumpier males merely finished their beer and watched their hypnotic shimmering metal fence/art-work installed beyond right field, and soon were soothed.

14. cgraydonhudson - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM

This sounds like a real “dumbass”, Craig:
    Rosa Lozano, who spent the evening in custody for taking the movement to the outfield grass, said to (Dave Zirin) after her release, “I did it because when history reflects this egregious time of civil and human rights violations I want to be able to have pride in saying that I didn’t stand idly by and allow human beings to be treated like animals because of their immigration status.”

15. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I thought only his mother called him “lord” – and that, it was my impression, only when she was pissed off at him.
    Hell of a mother, though.

16. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Whereas I sympathize entirely with anyone who opposes Governor Leatherface’s Nix-Mex law, I mostly agree with Craig about running on the field. Do it naked, or don’t waste our time.

17. APBA Guy - Aug 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Kubrick always had taste in casting female leads.

18. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Many thanks. I look forward to the next time

19. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’ve never forgiven Kubrick for making that final atrocity and then dying before he could redeem himself. Worse, he died before making Blood Meridian, something only he or Kurosawa could have done, and leaving me in the uncomfortable position of having to kill any other director who tries to lay his filthy hands on it.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win