Aug 16, 2010, 9:17 AM EST
Weird scene in the first inning of yesterday’s Tigers-White Sox game: After retiring the White Sox, Tigers starter Armando Galarraga sought out his catcher, Alex Avila in the dugout and started pointing his finger and jawing at him. It seemed like a regular old disagreement until Gerald Laird stepped in and began firing back at Galarraga and then it got all shovey for a few moments. (note: the pic to the right shows the couple in happier times).
Based on the post-game comments Galarraga was dressing down Avila over some mixup with signals or something and fellow-catcher Laird took offense at the kid being called out in front of everybody. And he’s right about that. But then again, when isn’t Gerald Laird the voice of reason?
And even if calling our your teammates in front of others, it’s probably not a good idea to do it to Avila. What with his old man being a big wheel in the Tigers’ front office.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)