Aug 16, 2010, 2:34 PM EST
I don’t put a ton of stock in Jim Bowden: newsbreaker, but the guy still knows people with the Nats, so I’ll put some amount of stock in his latest report that the Nationals and Harper are “making progress” on a deal and should have things wrapped up before the midnight deadline. Bowden says it’s around a $10 million package.
I figure it would take more than that, but less than Strasburg’s $15 million, but I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to amateur signing season so who knows?
The fact that Harper will sign before the midnight deadline, however, seems like a total no-brainer. Kid didn’t leave high school early in order to spend two years in college, that’s for sure.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)