Aug 16, 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
I don’t put a ton of stock in Jim Bowden: newsbreaker, but the guy still knows people with the Nats, so I’ll put some amount of stock in his latest report that the Nationals and Harper are “making progress” on a deal and should have things wrapped up before the midnight deadline. Bowden says it’s around a $10 million package.
I figure it would take more than that, but less than Strasburg’s $15 million, but I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to amateur signing season so who knows?
The fact that Harper will sign before the midnight deadline, however, seems like a total no-brainer. Kid didn’t leave high school early in order to spend two years in college, that’s for sure.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)