Aug 16, 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
I don’t put a ton of stock in Jim Bowden: newsbreaker, but the guy still knows people with the Nats, so I’ll put some amount of stock in his latest report that the Nationals and Harper are “making progress” on a deal and should have things wrapped up before the midnight deadline. Bowden says it’s around a $10 million package.
I figure it would take more than that, but less than Strasburg’s $15 million, but I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to amateur signing season so who knows?
The fact that Harper will sign before the midnight deadline, however, seems like a total no-brainer. Kid didn’t leave high school early in order to spend two years in college, that’s for sure.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)