Aug 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Yesterday the Cardinals moved Opening Day third baseman David Freese to the 60-day disabled list and gave 25-year-old rookie Allen Craig his first career start at the hot corner. And in related news, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that they have “intensified a search for help at the position.”
Tony La Russa said just last week that using Craig at third base “would be the worst thing for him and the team,” but with Freese out for the season with a broken ankle and veteran fill-in Felipe Lopez disappointing both offensively and defensively the manager quickly changed his mind. For now at least.
I don’t think this is really doing [Craig] a justice. It’s one of those moves you make because you have to make it, not because you want to make it. I don’t hesitate to make it because I really think this guy is a gamer, a talented gamer. It’s not really good for our club if he has to do it. He’s a very tough guy. He’s unafraid. We’ll see if we need to throw him out there again.
Craig made an error on the only ball hit to him yesterday, although Strauss described it as “a two-hop, ninth-inning smash.”
As for who the Cardinals are targeting as a longer-term answer at third base, Strauss reports that “the club retains interest in” Brandon Inge, an impending free agent with about $1.5 million left on his contract. With the Tigers three games below .500 and 10.5 games out of first place they’ll no doubt try to pass Inge through waivers to set up a trade, but he may be claimed before getting to the Cardinals.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)