Aug 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Yesterday the Cardinals moved Opening Day third baseman David Freese to the 60-day disabled list and gave 25-year-old rookie Allen Craig his first career start at the hot corner. And in related news, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that they have “intensified a search for help at the position.”
Tony La Russa said just last week that using Craig at third base “would be the worst thing for him and the team,” but with Freese out for the season with a broken ankle and veteran fill-in Felipe Lopez disappointing both offensively and defensively the manager quickly changed his mind. For now at least.
I don’t think this is really doing [Craig] a justice. It’s one of those moves you make because you have to make it, not because you want to make it. I don’t hesitate to make it because I really think this guy is a gamer, a talented gamer. It’s not really good for our club if he has to do it. He’s a very tough guy. He’s unafraid. We’ll see if we need to throw him out there again.
Craig made an error on the only ball hit to him yesterday, although Strauss described it as “a two-hop, ninth-inning smash.”
As for who the Cardinals are targeting as a longer-term answer at third base, Strauss reports that “the club retains interest in” Brandon Inge, an impending free agent with about $1.5 million left on his contract. With the Tigers three games below .500 and 10.5 games out of first place they’ll no doubt try to pass Inge through waivers to set up a trade, but he may be claimed before getting to the Cardinals.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)