Aug 16, 2010, 3:29 PM EST
Today’s post about Manny Ramirez brought forth a handful of “who would want that guy bringing their team down” comments. And one comment, by reader bobr, wondering what on Earth those people are complaining about:
I wonder which example of his destructive influence you are basing
this statement on. Might it be the 11 post-seasons his teams have played
in? Or the 2 World Series championships his teams won? Or his
post-season performance to a 937 OPS?
Maybe you are thinking about the way he ruined the Dodgers in 2008
when he joined them mid-season and helped lead them to the post-season
by posting a 1232 OPS and helping them finish a 17-8 September run that
put them over the top. Or his contributions to the Dodgers winning the
division title again the following year.
I am curious to know which teams he has driven “down the tubes”
because of the “circus” that accompanies him. I can certainly understand
questions about what he has left at his age and given his injuries, but
as for his dire influence on teams he plays for, I see no compelling
evidence he has ever injured their chances to win and plenty to indicate
he was a major factor in their excellence.
Manny can be a handful, no question about it. But my sense is that, at this point in his career, his age and uncertain production are a way bigger risk than his antics.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)