Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
Derrek Lee homered in his first two at-bats Sunday, but then left the game in the fifth inning with back soreness and is out of the Cubs’ lineup for tonight’s game with a bulging disk in his lower back.
It’s a tough break for Lee, who had smacked four homers in three games since returning from bereavement leave spent with an ailing grandparent in California. That production could have helped the impending free agent recoup some value in a career-worst season, but a 35-year-old with back problems will be scary to interested teams no matter how well he hits down the stretch.
Xavier Nady is starting at first base tonight against right-hander Kevin Correia and the Padres.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)