Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
Derrek Lee homered in his first two at-bats Sunday, but then left the game in the fifth inning with back soreness and is out of the Cubs’ lineup for tonight’s game with a bulging disk in his lower back.
It’s a tough break for Lee, who had smacked four homers in three games since returning from bereavement leave spent with an ailing grandparent in California. That production could have helped the impending free agent recoup some value in a career-worst season, but a 35-year-old with back problems will be scary to interested teams no matter how well he hits down the stretch.
Xavier Nady is starting at first base tonight against right-hander Kevin Correia and the Padres.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)