Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 PM EST
Derrek Lee homered in his first two at-bats Sunday, but then left the game in the fifth inning with back soreness and is out of the Cubs’ lineup for tonight’s game with a bulging disk in his lower back.
It’s a tough break for Lee, who had smacked four homers in three games since returning from bereavement leave spent with an ailing grandparent in California. That production could have helped the impending free agent recoup some value in a career-worst season, but a 35-year-old with back problems will be scary to interested teams no matter how well he hits down the stretch.
Xavier Nady is starting at first base tonight against right-hander Kevin Correia and the Padres.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)