Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
Derrek Lee homered in his first two at-bats Sunday, but then left the game in the fifth inning with back soreness and is out of the Cubs’ lineup for tonight’s game with a bulging disk in his lower back.
It’s a tough break for Lee, who had smacked four homers in three games since returning from bereavement leave spent with an ailing grandparent in California. That production could have helped the impending free agent recoup some value in a career-worst season, but a 35-year-old with back problems will be scary to interested teams no matter how well he hits down the stretch.
Xavier Nady is starting at first base tonight against right-hander Kevin Correia and the Padres.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)