Does any GM have the guts to take a chance on Manny Ramirez?

Aug 16, 2010, 12:03 PM EST

Manny
is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment this week, which means he should be activated and will return to the Dodgers before the August 31st waiver deal deadline. And if he’s back, you can bet the Dodgers will place him on waivers (as Ken Rosenthal and Buster Olney both note today).  So: anyone gonna claim him?

Ramirez is still owed about $3-5
million for the rest of this season. His rate stats for the year are good, and as everyone knows, a motivated Manny has the potential to be a difference maker. Still, I think the odds favor Ramirez clearing waivers and being dealt to a team that is willing to have him, but not his entire salary.

My thinking: despite the upside, standard business politics are going to win the day here, and the politics of the situation go like this: no GM is going to be blamed for not taking an available Manny Ramirez. Many GMs won’t be blamed for taking Manny Ramirez at a discount. Almost any GM, however, will set himself up for massive criticism if he takes a full-price Manny Ramirez on waivers and the move results in anything less than a playoff berth.

There’s just too much baggage with Ramirez anymore. He’s the kind of guy that can get someone fired. And no one is going to risk that.

1. basiltherat - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

No way they’d claim him on waivers of course, but assuming he clears I’d love to see the Rays swing a deal for the guy. Just stick him at DH and tell him not to overexert himself on the basepaths. I imagine he’d relish the chance to help keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs.

2. John_Michael - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Manny or Ibanez in left in Philly?
    Cholly would be flabbergasted. ‘The front porch rocking chair clamors up a racket when it’s stormin’ out, but sure is refreshing as lemonade in August when everything just falls into line.’

3. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Do it Atlanta!!! You saved 5million letting your most effective pitcher go last season….take a gamble.
    Apply the above theory to several managers/GM’s who are going to be canned in the off-season….why not throw the dice? Risk-reward but if you’ve got a 90% chance you will get the boot after the season, why not make a show if it? Manny would bring in a few million in ‘sales’ to counter any financial cost of paying that large fruit basket. Hell, even the Pirates would stand to benefit if they could trick a few season ticket holders into thinking they actually want to win.

4. rrgend - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Rays, go ahead and take the plunge. I’d love to watch your season go down the tubes. Bring the Circus to Tampa…

5. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Well, the Feesh almost got him a year or two back. No reason to believe Scrooge McLoria and his Chihuahua won’t try to almost get him again. It’s great press when the local newspaper prints on used Feeshwrapper.

6. Jack Marshall - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I am seriously disturbed to see that you have adopted the non-standard usage of “anymore” in affirmative declarative sentences, Craig.

7. bobr - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Fascinating. I wonder which example of his destructive influence you are basing this statement on. Might it be the 11 post-seasons his teams have played in? Or the 2 World Series championships his teams won? Or his post-season performance to a 937 OPS?
    Maybe you are thinking about the way he ruined the Dodgers in 2008 when he joined them mid-season and helped lead them to the post-season by posting a 1232 OPS and helping them finish a 17-8 September run that put them over the top. Or his contributions to the Dodgers winning the division title again the following year.
    I am curious to know which teams he has driven “down the tubes” because of the “circus” that accompanies him. I can certainly understand questions about what he has left at his age and given his injuries, but as for his dire influence on teams he plays for, I see no compelling evidence he has ever injured their chances to win and plenty to indicate he was a major factor in their excellence.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Actually, Jack, I don’t think I’ve used that in writing for a year or so, and I remember you distinctly not liking it the last time I did it. When I wrote it here I thought “I wonder if Jack will notice this?” Seriously.

9. basiltherat - Aug 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM

This. And if the Rays’ season DOES go down the tubes, it’ll be because they aren’t hitting enough.

10. JBerardi - Aug 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

The Red Sox asked for Mike Stanton, straight up. I think even you have to give some credit to the Feesh management for passing on that.

11. Pisano - Aug 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM

You would never have to tell Manny not to over exert himself . Taking a crap is probably his limit of over exertion .

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4405)