Aug 16, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment this week, which means he should be activated and will return to the Dodgers before the August 31st waiver deal deadline. And if he’s back, you can bet the Dodgers will place him on waivers (as Ken Rosenthal and Buster Olney both note today). So: anyone gonna claim him?
Ramirez is still owed about $3-5
million for the rest of this season. His rate stats for the year are good, and as everyone knows, a motivated Manny has the potential to be a difference maker. Still, I think the odds favor Ramirez clearing waivers and being dealt to a team that is willing to have him, but not his entire salary.
My thinking: despite the upside, standard business politics are going to win the day here, and the politics of the situation go like this: no GM is going to be blamed for not taking an available Manny Ramirez. Many GMs won’t be blamed for taking Manny Ramirez at a discount. Almost any GM, however, will set himself up for massive criticism if he takes a full-price Manny Ramirez on waivers and the move results in anything less than a playoff berth.
There’s just too much baggage with Ramirez anymore. He’s the kind of guy that can get someone fired. And no one is going to risk that.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)