Aug 16, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: The father of Dylan Covey told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that a recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was the reason his son opted not to sign with the club.
“This was crushing, to both us and the Brewers,” said Darrell Covey. “We were all in shock. It had nothing to do with money.”
After the diagnosis, the family decided the 19-year-old would be better off staying close to home at the University of San Diego. Can’t argue with that.
10:22 PM: Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that first-round pick Dylan Covey turned down an offer from the team in order to attend the University of San Diego.
“We offered a nice contract and bonus. There’s nothing that we didn’t
try to do. We did everything in our power to get him to be a Brewer. You
need to talk to the Covey family to get their side of it. They will
have to explain what happened.”
Covey, 19, was selected with the No. 14 pick in June’s draft. The young right-hander was believed to be seeking a signing bonus around $2 million, however Seid told Haudricourt that it “wasn’t about the money.”
Because they failed to come to terms with Covey, the Brewers will receive a compensation pick in next year’s draft, possibly as high as No. 15.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)