Aug 16, 2010, 11:10 PM EST
UPDATE: The father of Dylan Covey told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that a recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was the reason his son opted not to sign with the club.
“This was crushing, to both us and the Brewers,” said Darrell Covey. “We were all in shock. It had nothing to do with money.”
After the diagnosis, the family decided the 19-year-old would be better off staying close to home at the University of San Diego. Can’t argue with that.
10:22 PM: Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that first-round pick Dylan Covey turned down an offer from the team in order to attend the University of San Diego.
“We offered a nice contract and bonus. There’s nothing that we didn’t
try to do. We did everything in our power to get him to be a Brewer. You
need to talk to the Covey family to get their side of it. They will
have to explain what happened.”
Covey, 19, was selected with the No. 14 pick in June’s draft. The young right-hander was believed to be seeking a signing bonus around $2 million, however Seid told Haudricourt that it “wasn’t about the money.”
Because they failed to come to terms with Covey, the Brewers will receive a compensation pick in next year’s draft, possibly as high as No. 15.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)