Aug 16, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: The father of Dylan Covey told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that a recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was the reason his son opted not to sign with the club.
“This was crushing, to both us and the Brewers,” said Darrell Covey. “We were all in shock. It had nothing to do with money.”
After the diagnosis, the family decided the 19-year-old would be better off staying close to home at the University of San Diego. Can’t argue with that.
10:22 PM: Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that first-round pick Dylan Covey turned down an offer from the team in order to attend the University of San Diego.
“We offered a nice contract and bonus. There’s nothing that we didn’t
try to do. We did everything in our power to get him to be a Brewer. You
need to talk to the Covey family to get their side of it. They will
have to explain what happened.”
Covey, 19, was selected with the No. 14 pick in June’s draft. The young right-hander was believed to be seeking a signing bonus around $2 million, however Seid told Haudricourt that it “wasn’t about the money.”
Because they failed to come to terms with Covey, the Brewers will receive a compensation pick in next year’s draft, possibly as high as No. 15.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (92)