Aug 16, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: The father of Dylan Covey told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that a recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was the reason his son opted not to sign with the club.
“This was crushing, to both us and the Brewers,” said Darrell Covey. “We were all in shock. It had nothing to do with money.”
After the diagnosis, the family decided the 19-year-old would be better off staying close to home at the University of San Diego. Can’t argue with that.
10:22 PM: Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that first-round pick Dylan Covey turned down an offer from the team in order to attend the University of San Diego.
“We offered a nice contract and bonus. There’s nothing that we didn’t
try to do. We did everything in our power to get him to be a Brewer. You
need to talk to the Covey family to get their side of it. They will
have to explain what happened.”
Covey, 19, was selected with the No. 14 pick in June’s draft. The young right-hander was believed to be seeking a signing bonus around $2 million, however Seid told Haudricourt that it “wasn’t about the money.”
Because they failed to come to terms with Covey, the Brewers will receive a compensation pick in next year’s draft, possibly as high as No. 15.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)