Aug 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EST
Now we’re down to 15 unsigned first-round picks, as the Giants inked No. 24 overall selection and Cal-State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown to a $1.3 million bonus.
Brown is basically getting the MLB-recommended “slot” bonus, as last year’s No. 24 pick received $1.25 million. Considered one of the fastest players in the country, he broke out as a hitter this season and saw his stock skyrocket after turning down an offer to sign with the A’s as a 12th-round pick in 2007.
He seems likely to develop into a very good defensive center fielder, but between modest power and poor plate discipline there are some doubts about how well he’ll eventually hit in the majors.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)