Aug 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EST
Now we’re down to 15 unsigned first-round picks, as the Giants inked No. 24 overall selection and Cal-State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown to a $1.3 million bonus.
Brown is basically getting the MLB-recommended “slot” bonus, as last year’s No. 24 pick received $1.25 million. Considered one of the fastest players in the country, he broke out as a hitter this season and saw his stock skyrocket after turning down an offer to sign with the A’s as a 12th-round pick in 2007.
He seems likely to develop into a very good defensive center fielder, but between modest power and poor plate discipline there are some doubts about how well he’ll eventually hit in the majors.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15