Aug 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Now we’re down to 15 unsigned first-round picks, as the Giants inked No. 24 overall selection and Cal-State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown to a $1.3 million bonus.
Brown is basically getting the MLB-recommended “slot” bonus, as last year’s No. 24 pick received $1.25 million. Considered one of the fastest players in the country, he broke out as a hitter this season and saw his stock skyrocket after turning down an offer to sign with the A’s as a 12th-round pick in 2007.
He seems likely to develop into a very good defensive center fielder, but between modest power and poor plate discipline there are some doubts about how well he’ll eventually hit in the majors.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)