Aug 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Now we’re down to 15 unsigned first-round picks, as the Giants inked No. 24 overall selection and Cal-State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown to a $1.3 million bonus.
Brown is basically getting the MLB-recommended “slot” bonus, as last year’s No. 24 pick received $1.25 million. Considered one of the fastest players in the country, he broke out as a hitter this season and saw his stock skyrocket after turning down an offer to sign with the A’s as a 12th-round pick in 2007.
He seems likely to develop into a very good defensive center fielder, but between modest power and poor plate discipline there are some doubts about how well he’ll eventually hit in the majors.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11