Aug 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Now we’re down to 15 unsigned first-round picks, as the Giants inked No. 24 overall selection and Cal-State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown to a $1.3 million bonus.
Brown is basically getting the MLB-recommended “slot” bonus, as last year’s No. 24 pick received $1.25 million. Considered one of the fastest players in the country, he broke out as a hitter this season and saw his stock skyrocket after turning down an offer to sign with the A’s as a 12th-round pick in 2007.
He seems likely to develop into a very good defensive center fielder, but between modest power and poor plate discipline there are some doubts about how well he’ll eventually hit in the majors.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 90
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 44
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (91)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement