Aug 16, 2010, 2:16 PM EST
Johnny Cueto’s seven-game suspension meant he couldn’t make his scheduled start yesterday, so the Reds activated Homer Bailey from the disabled list to take his place and he shut out the Marlins for six innings in a 2-0 victory that completed a three-game sweep.
Cincinnati is back alone in first place despite being swept by St. Louis last week and the Reds’ rotation is looking stronger than ever with Bailey healthy for the first time since mid-May, Edinson Volquez showing positive signs in his return from Tommy John surgery, and Cueto’s suspension causing him to miss just the one start.
Not only did Bailey toss six scoreless innings, reach 95 miles per hour with his fastball, and retire the final 10 batters he faced after missing nearly three months with a shoulder injury, he handed out zero walks for just the fourth time in 47 starts.
Dusty Baker told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that Bailey “threw the ball great” and added that it’s “a great sign for us to have fresh arms like Homer and Volquez down the stretch” because “when everybody else is a little worn, they’re just getting revved up.” They may not have any room for Aaron Harang once he’s ready to come off the DL.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)