Aug 16, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Peter Gammons is reporting that Ichiro is lobbying for the Mariners to make Bobby Valentine their new manager. Gammons calls Valentine “Suzuki’s preference.”
It’s not clear why he’d be Ichiro’s favorite, but one can assume that it has something to do with Valentine’s track record in the NPB and word of mouth from friends, former teammates, etc. As I noted last week, however, it’s possible that Valentine’s experience in Japan could be just as likely to be a plus as it is a minus in his column. Familiarity is a two way street, after all.
Based on his age and track record and temperament I’d say that Valentine would be a fine choice with any team that isn’t a total rebuild with kids. He’s a good manager. He’d bring some gravitas to the Seattle job in much the same way Buck Showalter has brought to Baltimore.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 4
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 113
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39