Aug 16, 2010, 2:02 PM EST
Peter Gammons is reporting that Ichiro is lobbying for the Mariners to make Bobby Valentine their new manager. Gammons calls Valentine “Suzuki’s preference.”
It’s not clear why he’d be Ichiro’s favorite, but one can assume that it has something to do with Valentine’s track record in the NPB and word of mouth from friends, former teammates, etc. As I noted last week, however, it’s possible that Valentine’s experience in Japan could be just as likely to be a plus as it is a minus in his column. Familiarity is a two way street, after all.
Based on his age and track record and temperament I’d say that Valentine would be a fine choice with any team that isn’t a total rebuild with kids. He’s a good manager. He’d bring some gravitas to the Seattle job in much the same way Buck Showalter has brought to Baltimore.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 3
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86