Jason Bay's concussion opening the Mets' eyes

Aug 16, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Unlike the case with Ryan Church a couple of years ago, the Mets can’t really be blamed for mishandling Jason Bay. Bay made no complaints about a head injury and there were no concussion symptoms until he got on a plane a couple days later.  It was just one of those things.

But it may not be just one of those things going forward as the New York Times is reporting that the Mets are going to start testing far more players than they currently do for concussion symptoms following impacts, even if they don’t seem to involve the noggin.

Concussions are scary things, and the scariest thing is that we just don’t know a ton about them. Case in point: prominent quotes in the article from Corey Koskie, whose career was ended by concussions before anyone really knew what was going on to begin with.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM

If the Metropolitans do things in their usual way, they’ll have Frenchy on the DL not realizing that he’s always just had marbles in his head.

2. Trevor B - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Really makes you hope and pray guys like Bay and Morneau will be able to get back to playing healthy with no permanent damage to both them and their game.

3. SDelMonte - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Good to see that the Mets are learning.
    As I have said elsewhere, I think this is part of the sea change in all sports coming from the pressure being placed on the NFL. It has also been interesting to see players like Bay and Wright and Morneau struggle to return when football players seem to come back at the first opportunity under the rules. Is the NFL still taking things too lightly?

4. APBA Guy - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Strictly as a receiver, the best catcher I ever saw was Brad Ausmus. Second best was Mike Matheny, who also lost several years to concussion after being hit in the head repeatedly by hitters’ bats on their follow through. Now you see guys wearing hockey helmets. That’s a good thing. Padding needs to be mandatory on outfield fences also.

5. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Will Omar be tested if this is the case?

6. Glenn - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM

What about boxing? The whole point is to give the other guy a concussion.

7. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM

It has not been my impression that, except for one field note in an old issue of The Journal of Irreproducible Results, concussions have ever been demonstrated to cause stupidity. I can’t think of a single example of a Democrat banging his head and then voting Republican, for example, and there’s no point in even looking for an example of a Republican banging his head and voting Democratic because any impact powerful enough to penetrate a Republican skull would have broken his ass and killed him already. On the other hand, I am sure there are so many examples of stupidity causing concussions that the bibliography would hang up your hard drive as soon as it began to download.

8. JBerardi - Aug 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

“Is the NFL still taking things too lightly?”

“Let us be very clear about this. It is impossible to play professional football for any length of time and not suffer brain damage. There will never be a helmet sturdy enough to spare you. There is no tweaking of the rulebook that will eliminate it. There is no fine, no penalty, severe enough to stop it. Play in the NFL and you will damage your brain. Period.”

9. Trevor B - Aug 16, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Here you go Gator. That George W. Bush fellow was pretty damn smart, look where he left us.
    I wish you’d turn that witty humor into baseball related stuff; NBC would probably offer you a job working with Craig.

10. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Then you wouldn’t have to wear pants either Gator!

11. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Saying that boxers were stupid before they had people punch them in the head? *Laughs*

12. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I don’t wear pants, if you mean those things that go down to your ankles, between May and October anyway – unless I go north of Quebec City or Lake Winnepegosis of something. Strictly a shorts guy. In late September, I remove them from the closet and roll them up one way, then roll them back the other way to break out the rigor mortis. Then I watch Nicole Mitchell on The Weather Channel assiduously to see if maybe the temperature is going to drop below 70, whereupon I lay a pair of these odd garments out on my weightlifting bench for the morrow. It’s an almost religious experience hiding my legs from the sun like that. Did you know that Ernest Hemingway thought underwear was too formal for him?
    As far as a job with MSNBC, would you trust them anymore if they would have me?
    I didn’t think so.

13. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Read my daily Feesh reports. They’re full of wit, wisdom and incisive analysis. And they’re larded with neologisms, too – expensive stuff anywhere else, but free to you here.

Three legends off to Cooperstown