Aug 16, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann turned in another impressive start yesterday in his comeback from Tommy John elbow surgery, tossing five innings of one-run ball at Triple-A.
Zimmermann now has a 1.82 ERA, .208 opponents’ batting average, and 26/5 K/BB ratio in 34.2 innings split between four levels, and Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that he could be one more positive outing away from being called back up to the Nationals.
According to Kilgore he’ll likely be limited to five-inning starts down the stretch, as the Nationals want to keep his workload in check just 12 months removed from a surgery that typically has a recovery timetable of 12-18 months.
Stephen Strasburg gets all the attention when it comes to Nationals pitching phenoms and Ryan Zimmerman gets all the attention when it comes the team’s Zimmerman(n)s, but before the injury Jordan Zimmermann was looking like a potential ace himself and the early results are certainly extremely positive for the 24-year-old right-hander.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (93)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)