Aug 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Multiple outlets are reporting that Francisco Rodriguez has a thumb ligament injury that will require surgery which will put him out for the season. And yep, you guessed it: the injury came when he punched his girlfriend’s father last week.
I don’t suppose the result of the punches he threw render the intention to throw those punches and dumber, but it certainly makes the results far more disastrous for him.
Now the big question comes: can the Mets refuse to pay him his salary or even go so far as to void his contract as a result of all of this? Obviously the man is innocent until proven guilty — and obviously the union would have a lot to say about this before any decision was ultimately made — but it is hard to see how this injury isn’t the result of the player engaging in misconduct, however it is ultimately characterized, legally speaking.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)