Aug 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Multiple outlets are reporting that Francisco Rodriguez has a thumb ligament injury that will require surgery which will put him out for the season. And yep, you guessed it: the injury came when he punched his girlfriend’s father last week.
I don’t suppose the result of the punches he threw render the intention to throw those punches and dumber, but it certainly makes the results far more disastrous for him.
Now the big question comes: can the Mets refuse to pay him his salary or even go so far as to void his contract as a result of all of this? Obviously the man is innocent until proven guilty — and obviously the union would have a lot to say about this before any decision was ultimately made — but it is hard to see how this injury isn’t the result of the player engaging in misconduct, however it is ultimately characterized, legally speaking.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)