Aug 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Multiple outlets are reporting that Francisco Rodriguez has a thumb ligament injury that will require surgery which will put him out for the season. And yep, you guessed it: the injury came when he punched his girlfriend’s father last week.
I don’t suppose the result of the punches he threw render the intention to throw those punches and dumber, but it certainly makes the results far more disastrous for him.
Now the big question comes: can the Mets refuse to pay him his salary or even go so far as to void his contract as a result of all of this? Obviously the man is innocent until proven guilty — and obviously the union would have a lot to say about this before any decision was ultimately made — but it is hard to see how this injury isn’t the result of the player engaging in misconduct, however it is ultimately characterized, legally speaking.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)