Aug 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Multiple outlets are reporting that Francisco Rodriguez has a thumb ligament injury that will require surgery which will put him out for the season. And yep, you guessed it: the injury came when he punched his girlfriend’s father last week.
I don’t suppose the result of the punches he threw render the intention to throw those punches and dumber, but it certainly makes the results far more disastrous for him.
Now the big question comes: can the Mets refuse to pay him his salary or even go so far as to void his contract as a result of all of this? Obviously the man is innocent until proven guilty — and obviously the union would have a lot to say about this before any decision was ultimately made — but it is hard to see how this injury isn’t the result of the player engaging in misconduct, however it is ultimately characterized, legally speaking.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)