Mets plan to pick up Jose Reyes' option, discuss long term deal

Aug 16, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT

We heard some stuff about this a week or two ago, but Mark Hale at the Post is reporting that the Mets are going to exercise Jose Reyes’ $11 million option after the season and get working on an extension.

Seems like a good idea. Reyes isn’t at 2006 level but he’s shown that he’s basically back and he’s basically durable and for as much negativity that surrounds the Mets on a day to day basis, it’s easy to forget that Jose Reyes is a pretty darn valuable player.

I had wondered if Reyes would take a gamble at 2011 being a big season for him and put off signing a deal in the hopes that he’s make himself a ton of money. But my guess is that last year’s injury and this spring’s thyroid condition and all of that put some fear of baseball mortality into him so he’ll probably sign a three or four year deal.

1. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Jose, just how much would you want us to pay you in return for which you would promise to go on carrying the bunch of whiners, chokers and quitters on your back for an additional three to five years?

2. adam - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM

The contract should have incentives based on number of pitches watched while on the field.

3. matt - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I cant decide on Reyes. Half of me see’s a guy who should eb an absolute superstar who all by himself can lead to many victories for his team. Then the other half reads his quotes about not being able to pay attention to every pitch, watches as he and the other circus clown players on that team will jump around like idiots and perform the obviously practiced hand slapping routines they do after every homerun (while winning or losing the game), and watches him make a costly mistake at just the wrong time and I wonder if he’s the perfect example of why this team has underachieved for several years even though they have all that supposed talent. Sometimes players are just losing players for whatever reason. I see Carlos Beltran and I see a losing player, no matter what the stats. I think I’d keep Reyes in the end and gut the rest of that pathetic team.

4. Kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Exercise his option next year…watch him have the best season of his career next year, benefit from that in ever which way, then wish the team who signs him for billions luck. Possibly even trade him late if the Mets tank it again.

5. Benny Blanco - Aug 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, cause no other team jumps around and slaps hands. I guess its not ok to have a good time while they play a game.

6. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM