Aug 16, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Something about this makes me smile: Orlando Cabrera is on the DL, so yesterday he put on the “BB” uniform and played bat boy during the Reds-Marlins game. Wore the helmet and everything. The only downside is that he quit after the fifth inning.
This is not unprecedented in Reds history, of course. Marge Schott used to make Chris Sabo serve as batboy for every game between 1988 and 1991. And not just when he was on the DL. It was Marge’s way of saving the $75 she would have had to pay a real bat boy. True story.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)