Aug 16, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Something about this makes me smile: Orlando Cabrera is on the DL, so yesterday he put on the “BB” uniform and played bat boy during the Reds-Marlins game. Wore the helmet and everything. The only downside is that he quit after the fifth inning.
This is not unprecedented in Reds history, of course. Marge Schott used to make Chris Sabo serve as batboy for every game between 1988 and 1991. And not just when he was on the DL. It was Marge’s way of saving the $75 she would have had to pay a real bat boy. True story.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)