Aug 16, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Something about this makes me smile: Orlando Cabrera is on the DL, so yesterday he put on the “BB” uniform and played bat boy during the Reds-Marlins game. Wore the helmet and everything. The only downside is that he quit after the fifth inning.
This is not unprecedented in Reds history, of course. Marge Schott used to make Chris Sabo serve as batboy for every game between 1988 and 1991. And not just when he was on the DL. It was Marge’s way of saving the $75 she would have had to pay a real bat boy. True story.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)