Aug 16, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves may be interested in Rockies’ second baseman Clint Barmes and could either claim him or trade for him if Colorado places him on waivers.
Which kind of makes no sense to me. The thinking would be that Barmes would play second, allowing Martin Prado to cover third base now that Chipper Jones is out. Nowhere in Rosenthal’s reports is it mentioned that Omar Infante is better than Barmes and should be keep getting penciled into the lineup unless and until he stops hitting and, once he stops hitting, should be penciled into the lineup to see if he starts hitting again. And if he falters, the Braves should give more time to Brooks Conrad.
No, neither Infante nor Conrad are super heroes. But they’re certainly better than Clint Barmes. And really: the Braves have more pressing problems.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)