Aug 16, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves may be interested in Rockies’ second baseman Clint Barmes and could either claim him or trade for him if Colorado places him on waivers.
Which kind of makes no sense to me. The thinking would be that Barmes would play second, allowing Martin Prado to cover third base now that Chipper Jones is out. Nowhere in Rosenthal’s reports is it mentioned that Omar Infante is better than Barmes and should be keep getting penciled into the lineup unless and until he stops hitting and, once he stops hitting, should be penciled into the lineup to see if he starts hitting again. And if he falters, the Braves should give more time to Brooks Conrad.
No, neither Infante nor Conrad are super heroes. But they’re certainly better than Clint Barmes. And really: the Braves have more pressing problems.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)