Aug 16, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
If the season ended today, two things would happen: (1) we’d all be really surprised and would demand explanations; and (2) we’d have the Rangers facing the Rays in the ALDS, just like they are tonight.
And we’d likely have tonight’s matchup as well: Cliff Lee vs. David Price, which considering the struggles Tim Lincecum is now going through, tops the Ubaldo Jimenez-Lincecum matchup from last month and stands out as the matchup of the year.
Maybe the most intriguing thing about the matchup is that each starter has had trouble with the opposition. Two of Lee’s first four starts this season came against the Rays, and he lost both of them. Price hasn’t faced the Rangers this season, but he’s 0-2 with a 9.45 ERA in three starts against Texas.
Every time I hype up a matchup like this it ends up being a dud. Here’s hoping my luck changes, because there are only eight games tonight, and I really want this one to be good.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20