Aug 16, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey said that Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann “did well” during their bullpen sessions Monday.
Davis and Niemann were placed on the disabled list early last week due to shoulder strains. Barring any setbacks, Hickey said they should be on track to be activated next week against the Angels. Davis is projected to pitch next Tuesday, while Niemann will start next Wednesday.
Andy Sonnanstine and rookie left-hander Jeremy Hellickson have filled in during their respective absences, however they are expected to be moved to the bullpen next week.
It’s not like Hellickson deserves it. The 23-year-old right-hander is the first pitcher in the modern era to pitch at least six innings while allowing three hits or fewer in each of his first three major league appearances. He tossed six innings of one-run ball in a win over the Orioles on Sunday. It’s actually a pretty nice problem to have.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)