Aug 16, 2010, 8:08 PM EST
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey said that Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann “did well” during their bullpen sessions Monday.
Davis and Niemann were placed on the disabled list early last week due to shoulder strains. Barring any setbacks, Hickey said they should be on track to be activated next week against the Angels. Davis is projected to pitch next Tuesday, while Niemann will start next Wednesday.
Andy Sonnanstine and rookie left-hander Jeremy Hellickson have filled in during their respective absences, however they are expected to be moved to the bullpen next week.
It’s not like Hellickson deserves it. The 23-year-old right-hander is the first pitcher in the modern era to pitch at least six innings while allowing three hits or fewer in each of his first three major league appearances. He tossed six innings of one-run ball in a win over the Orioles on Sunday. It’s actually a pretty nice problem to have.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)