Aug 17, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Called up last week and handed the starting job in left field, 23-year-old Chris Carter went 0-for-19 with nine strikeouts while struggling defensively in his first taste of the majors and was sent back to Triple-A last night.
Conor Jackson and Travis Buck returning from the disabled list led to the move, but had Carter gone 10-for-19 instead of 0-for-19–or, say, 5-for-19 while looking less lost in the outfield–there’s a pretty decent chance he wouldn’t be heading back to Sacramento.
He’ll likely be recalled when rosters expand on September 1 and in the meantime the 6-foot-5 slugger is expected to continue playing left field at Triple-A. Carter looked very out of place as a left fielder to me, struggling to cover a ton of ground and showing poor instincts in the process, but the 0-for-19 isn’t a particularly big concern.
His strikeout totals in the minors are high enough to make Carter less than a sure thing to develop into an impact hitter, but he’s also drawn tons of walks while averaging 33 homers per 150 games in the minors, including 31 long balls in 127 games at Triple-A. He’ll be back and he’ll smack a bunch of homers for the A’s.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)