Aug 17, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Called up last week and handed the starting job in left field, 23-year-old Chris Carter went 0-for-19 with nine strikeouts while struggling defensively in his first taste of the majors and was sent back to Triple-A last night.
Conor Jackson and Travis Buck returning from the disabled list led to the move, but had Carter gone 10-for-19 instead of 0-for-19–or, say, 5-for-19 while looking less lost in the outfield–there’s a pretty decent chance he wouldn’t be heading back to Sacramento.
He’ll likely be recalled when rosters expand on September 1 and in the meantime the 6-foot-5 slugger is expected to continue playing left field at Triple-A. Carter looked very out of place as a left fielder to me, struggling to cover a ton of ground and showing poor instincts in the process, but the 0-for-19 isn’t a particularly big concern.
His strikeout totals in the minors are high enough to make Carter less than a sure thing to develop into an impact hitter, but he’s also drawn tons of walks while averaging 33 homers per 150 games in the minors, including 31 long balls in 127 games at Triple-A. He’ll be back and he’ll smack a bunch of homers for the A’s.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)