Aug 17, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Called up last week and handed the starting job in left field, 23-year-old Chris Carter went 0-for-19 with nine strikeouts while struggling defensively in his first taste of the majors and was sent back to Triple-A last night.
Conor Jackson and Travis Buck returning from the disabled list led to the move, but had Carter gone 10-for-19 instead of 0-for-19–or, say, 5-for-19 while looking less lost in the outfield–there’s a pretty decent chance he wouldn’t be heading back to Sacramento.
He’ll likely be recalled when rosters expand on September 1 and in the meantime the 6-foot-5 slugger is expected to continue playing left field at Triple-A. Carter looked very out of place as a left fielder to me, struggling to cover a ton of ground and showing poor instincts in the process, but the 0-for-19 isn’t a particularly big concern.
His strikeout totals in the minors are high enough to make Carter less than a sure thing to develop into an impact hitter, but he’s also drawn tons of walks while averaging 33 homers per 150 games in the minors, including 31 long balls in 127 games at Triple-A. He’ll be back and he’ll smack a bunch of homers for the A’s.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)