Aug 17, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Carlos Delgado’s comeback from hip surgery has stalled after just five games at Triple-A because more hip and lower back problems.
Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that “the injury is on the opposite side from the site of his two hip surgeries and is not believed to be serious,” but Delgado is expected to remain sidelined until at least the weekend.
Delgado can opt out of his minor league contract with the Red Sox if he’s not in the majors by the time rosters expand on September 1, so obviously the setback leaves him little time to show he’s ready.
He hasn’t faced big-league pitching since May 10 of last season and the 38-year-old went just 3-for-13 with zero extra-base hits, zero walks, and six strikeouts prior to being shut down.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)