Aug 17, 2010, 10:47 AM EST
Carlos Delgado’s comeback from hip surgery has stalled after just five games at Triple-A because more hip and lower back problems.
Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that “the injury is on the opposite side from the site of his two hip surgeries and is not believed to be serious,” but Delgado is expected to remain sidelined until at least the weekend.
Delgado can opt out of his minor league contract with the Red Sox if he’s not in the majors by the time rosters expand on September 1, so obviously the setback leaves him little time to show he’s ready.
He hasn’t faced big-league pitching since May 10 of last season and the 38-year-old went just 3-for-13 with zero extra-base hits, zero walks, and six strikeouts prior to being shut down.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)