Aug 17, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
Carlos Guillen injured his left knee turning the game-ending double play against the Yankees last night and initially thought it wasn’t particularly serious, but now he’s out of tonight’s lineup and after undergoing an MRI exam today.
I was fine. Everything was normal. But this morning, when I woke up, I felt a little bit different. I knew there was going to be a little swelling, because he got me pretty good.
“He” in that quote is Brett Gardner, whose slide in an unsuccessful attempt to break up the double play left Guillen hurting. After the game both Guillen and Gardner agreed that it was a clean play, but Guillen has since changed his tune somewhat, telling Jason Beck of MLB.com:
I saw a replay when I got home, and it looked different. He knows.
According to Beck he’s now convinced “it was a late slide.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32