Aug 17, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
Carlos Guillen injured his left knee turning the game-ending double play against the Yankees last night and initially thought it wasn’t particularly serious, but now he’s out of tonight’s lineup and after undergoing an MRI exam today.
I was fine. Everything was normal. But this morning, when I woke up, I felt a little bit different. I knew there was going to be a little swelling, because he got me pretty good.
“He” in that quote is Brett Gardner, whose slide in an unsuccessful attempt to break up the double play left Guillen hurting. After the game both Guillen and Gardner agreed that it was a clean play, but Guillen has since changed his tune somewhat, telling Jason Beck of MLB.com:
I saw a replay when I got home, and it looked different. He knows.
According to Beck he’s now convinced “it was a late slide.”
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)