Aug 17, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Out since late June following surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb, Chase Utley has finished a brief minor league rehab assignment and is expected to return from the disabled list tonight against the Giants.
Utley went 3-for-12 with two extra-base hits in four games rehabbing at Single-A and will be examined by doctors this morning, with the assumption being that they’ll clear him to play.
Wilson Valdez has started 33 of 43 games at second base in Utley’s absence, hitting just .248 with a .297 on-base percentage and .349 slugging percentage for a .646 OPS that is 252 points below Utley’s career mark.
Despite that dropoff in production the Phillies have gone 26-17 (.605) without Utley, which is actually better than their 40-34 (.541) record before he went down, and during that time they’ve trimmed the Braves’ division lead from 3.5 games to 2.5 games.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)