Aug 17, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Out since late June following surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb, Chase Utley has finished a brief minor league rehab assignment and is expected to return from the disabled list tonight against the Giants.
Utley went 3-for-12 with two extra-base hits in four games rehabbing at Single-A and will be examined by doctors this morning, with the assumption being that they’ll clear him to play.
Wilson Valdez has started 33 of 43 games at second base in Utley’s absence, hitting just .248 with a .297 on-base percentage and .349 slugging percentage for a .646 OPS that is 252 points below Utley’s career mark.
Despite that dropoff in production the Phillies have gone 26-17 (.605) without Utley, which is actually better than their 40-34 (.541) record before he went down, and during that time they’ve trimmed the Braves’ division lead from 3.5 games to 2.5 games.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)