Aug 17, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Out since late June following surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb, Chase Utley has finished a brief minor league rehab assignment and is expected to return from the disabled list tonight against the Giants.
Utley went 3-for-12 with two extra-base hits in four games rehabbing at Single-A and will be examined by doctors this morning, with the assumption being that they’ll clear him to play.
Wilson Valdez has started 33 of 43 games at second base in Utley’s absence, hitting just .248 with a .297 on-base percentage and .349 slugging percentage for a .646 OPS that is 252 points below Utley’s career mark.
Despite that dropoff in production the Phillies have gone 26-17 (.605) without Utley, which is actually better than their 40-34 (.541) record before he went down, and during that time they’ve trimmed the Braves’ division lead from 3.5 games to 2.5 games.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)