Aug 17, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
Even when you read the box scores every day you miss a lot. For example, the following — brought to you in this morning’s recaps thread by Commenter Emeritus APBA Guy — hadn’t occurred to me:
This is the third straight game the Cult of Beane has nearly been no-hit.
Last night it was a one hitter. Sunday was the Slowey no-hit through seven, But Saturday the game finished with the A’s having no hits through the last six innings. So for the last 24 innings they’ve had 4 hits.
It’s not just lack of talent. It’s not just quality opposing pitching (and defense). It’s also the league’s most passive approach at the plate. There is far too much of an A’s hitter off-balance on 0-2 counts because he took two strikes. It’s amazing how lately opposing pitchers just run to the mound, throw as many strikes as fast as they can, and leave undamaged.
I’m sure I’m not the first person to say this, but it’s amazing how much better the old Beane take-and-rake philosophy works when you have, you know, good hitters doing the taking and the raking.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 45
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 60
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)