Aug 17, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
Even when you read the box scores every day you miss a lot. For example, the following — brought to you in this morning’s recaps thread by Commenter Emeritus APBA Guy — hadn’t occurred to me:
This is the third straight game the Cult of Beane has nearly been no-hit.
Last night it was a one hitter. Sunday was the Slowey no-hit through seven, But Saturday the game finished with the A’s having no hits through the last six innings. So for the last 24 innings they’ve had 4 hits.
It’s not just lack of talent. It’s not just quality opposing pitching (and defense). It’s also the league’s most passive approach at the plate. There is far too much of an A’s hitter off-balance on 0-2 counts because he took two strikes. It’s amazing how lately opposing pitchers just run to the mound, throw as many strikes as fast as they can, and leave undamaged.
I’m sure I’m not the first person to say this, but it’s amazing how much better the old Beane take-and-rake philosophy works when you have, you know, good hitters doing the taking and the raking.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)