Aug 17, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
After taking to Twitter last week to complain (and put forth conspiracy theories) about being evicted from his apartment Jose Canseco signed with the Laredo Broncos of the independent United League Baseball and homered in his first at-bat.
Canseco came off the bench as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning last night and smacked a three-run homer in a 16-8 win. He batted again in the eighth inning and grounded into a double play.
Laredo has six games remaining this season and the 46-year-old former MVP plans to serve as a designated hitter/bench coach while also pitching.
In the Associated Press story about his Laredo debut UBL president Byron Pierce called Canseco’s appearance “one of the highlights of our league” because “this isn’t something that happens every day” and “we’re happier than heck to have him here.”
True, perhaps. Sad, definitely.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?