Aug 17, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
After taking to Twitter last week to complain (and put forth conspiracy theories) about being evicted from his apartment Jose Canseco signed with the Laredo Broncos of the independent United League Baseball and homered in his first at-bat.
Canseco came off the bench as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning last night and smacked a three-run homer in a 16-8 win. He batted again in the eighth inning and grounded into a double play.
Laredo has six games remaining this season and the 46-year-old former MVP plans to serve as a designated hitter/bench coach while also pitching.
In the Associated Press story about his Laredo debut UBL president Byron Pierce called Canseco’s appearance “one of the highlights of our league” because “this isn’t something that happens every day” and “we’re happier than heck to have him here.”
True, perhaps. Sad, definitely.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)