Aug 17, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
After taking to Twitter last week to complain (and put forth conspiracy theories) about being evicted from his apartment Jose Canseco signed with the Laredo Broncos of the independent United League Baseball and homered in his first at-bat.
Canseco came off the bench as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning last night and smacked a three-run homer in a 16-8 win. He batted again in the eighth inning and grounded into a double play.
Laredo has six games remaining this season and the 46-year-old former MVP plans to serve as a designated hitter/bench coach while also pitching.
In the Associated Press story about his Laredo debut UBL president Byron Pierce called Canseco’s appearance “one of the highlights of our league” because “this isn’t something that happens every day” and “we’re happier than heck to have him here.”
True, perhaps. Sad, definitely.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)