Aug 17, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
After taking to Twitter last week to complain (and put forth conspiracy theories) about being evicted from his apartment Jose Canseco signed with the Laredo Broncos of the independent United League Baseball and homered in his first at-bat.
Canseco came off the bench as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning last night and smacked a three-run homer in a 16-8 win. He batted again in the eighth inning and grounded into a double play.
Laredo has six games remaining this season and the 46-year-old former MVP plans to serve as a designated hitter/bench coach while also pitching.
In the Associated Press story about his Laredo debut UBL president Byron Pierce called Canseco’s appearance “one of the highlights of our league” because “this isn’t something that happens every day” and “we’re happier than heck to have him here.”
True, perhaps. Sad, definitely.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 5
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 111
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (115)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)