Aug 17, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
After taking to Twitter last week to complain (and put forth conspiracy theories) about being evicted from his apartment Jose Canseco signed with the Laredo Broncos of the independent United League Baseball and homered in his first at-bat.
Canseco came off the bench as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning last night and smacked a three-run homer in a 16-8 win. He batted again in the eighth inning and grounded into a double play.
Laredo has six games remaining this season and the 46-year-old former MVP plans to serve as a designated hitter/bench coach while also pitching.
In the Associated Press story about his Laredo debut UBL president Byron Pierce called Canseco’s appearance “one of the highlights of our league” because “this isn’t something that happens every day” and “we’re happier than heck to have him here.”
True, perhaps. Sad, definitely.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)