Aug 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Joe Nelson of KFAN radio is either an ignoramus or a troll. Maybe both. All I know is that someone who says stuff like this probably needs his medication adjusted:
We don’t live in a
“What if” world. We live in the real world. Kevin Slowey also lives in
the real world and he had a real chance to throw a real no-hitter. Now
that chance is gone because the pitch count and possibility of injury
said he couldn’t go on any longer. Give me a break! That’s the worst
ideology of all-time.
I am shocked at how many people are buying
into this pitch count crap. The pitch count has been worse for baseball
than the steroid era. There have only been 268 no-hitters in the
history of the game, and the freaking pitch count stood between Kevin
Slowey and number 269.
The “worst ideology of all time!” Darn tootin’! I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, but at least it’s an ethos that didn’t prevent a no-hitter.
More seriously speaking, this Nelson fellow can’t be serious. If he was, he wouldn’t launch into some inane rant about how, if we’re going to be so hoity-toity as to count pitches, we should count swings too. Actual quote from the guy: “There isn’t a
pitcher in major league baseball with a higher risk of injury than any
batter – regardless of the number of pitches thrown.” If Nelson can find a single person in organized baseball to agree with him on that point I will give him a shiny silver dollar. I hear that people like him like shiny things.
And yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Don’t link this, Craig! It’s what they want!” To which I respond: I really don’t care. If Nelson’s traffic numbers increase to such a degree that it leads to so great a proliferation of his blindingly ignorant garbage to where society will have nowhere else to turn for cogent analysis, the whole of sports media is doomed anyway.
Short of that, I take a decent amount of personal satisfaction in calling the guy stupid.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 41
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)