Kevin Slowey and "this pitch count crap"

Aug 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Joe Nelson of KFAN radio is either an ignoramus or a troll. Maybe both. All I know is that someone who says stuff like this probably needs his medication adjusted:

We don’t live in a
“What if” world. We live in the real world. Kevin Slowey also lives in
the real world and he had a real chance to throw a real no-hitter. Now
that chance is gone because the pitch count and possibility of injury
said he couldn’t go on any longer. Give me a break! That’s the worst
ideology of all-time.

I am shocked at how many people are buying
into this pitch count crap. The pitch count has been worse for baseball
than the steroid era. There have only been 268 no-hitters in the
history of the game, and the freaking pitch count stood between Kevin
Slowey and number 269.

The “worst ideology of all time!” Darn tootin’! I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, but at least it’s an ethos that didn’t prevent a no-hitter.

More seriously speaking, this Nelson fellow can’t be serious. If he was, he wouldn’t launch into some inane rant about how, if we’re going to be so hoity-toity as to count pitches, we should count swings too.  Actual quote from the guy: “There isn’t a
pitcher in major league baseball with a higher risk of injury than any
batter – regardless of the number of pitches thrown.” If Nelson can find a single person in organized baseball to agree with him on that point I will give him a shiny silver dollar. I hear that people like him like shiny things.

And yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Don’t link this, Craig! It’s what they want!” To which I respond: I really don’t care. If Nelson’s traffic numbers increase to such a degree that it leads to so great a proliferation of his blindingly ignorant garbage to where society will have nowhere else to turn for cogent analysis, the whole of sports media is doomed anyway.

Short of that, I take a decent amount of personal satisfaction in calling the guy stupid.

1. NicoSamuelson2 - Aug 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM

That’s why Gleeman is so popular. You can’t get an intelligent perspective on the Twins from MN radio or newspaper (though Christensen isn’t terrible), so you gotta go to the blogs! Thanks Aaron!

2. JBerardi - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Wow, you should really let the 30 major league teams know that you’ve figured out the secret to preventing pitcher injuries. I’m sure they’d love to hear from you.

3. NicoSamuelson2 - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM

The WORST ideologies of All-Time (a countdown):
    3. Fascism
    2. Nazism
    1. Pitch Counts

4. bigtrav425 - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Your a tard Craig…..Pitch Counts are for the Birds!! they are dumb! You have had guys gettin injured taking out the trash,hitting Gatorade bottles etc and you can easily get hurt on your 150th pitch as you can your 10th,30th or 50th pitch.I hate this pitch count pussy shit

5. l3rokenl2ecord - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I never said I knew how to teach pitching mechanics. All I’m saying is if you do something the wrong way, you are more likely to get injured. You should learn to read before you attempt writing.

6. l3rokenl2ecord - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Someone please do me a favor and tell all the pitchers on this list that a pitch-count would have prevented their injuries.

7. Bill@TDS - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM

No, that’s not all you said, not at all. How did you type all that garbage without realizing you were doing it?

8. l3rokenl2ecord - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM

It’s funny how people who are wrong never have a rebuttal. They just bash you without trying to prove the other side of the argument.

9. JBerardi - Aug 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM

So what you’re saying is, pitching isn’t more of an injury risk, it’s just that all major league pitchers are pitching wrong, not that you know WHAT it is they’re doing wrong, since you’re not an expert on pitching mechanics. Excellent work.

10. l3rokenl2ecord - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Why do you people not get it? I never claimed to be some expert on this subject. I’m just forming an educated opinion. Maybe this will make it easier for you to understand. *Preparing to stoop to your level* If you masturbate wrong, you will hurt your penis. I am not claiming to be an expert, I’m just saying IF YOU DO SOMETHING THE WRONG WAY, YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED DOING IT! You are all idiots, or stupid, or any other derogatory term that you all use for your counter arguments.
    My argument: Pitch-count is worthless because (insert reason).
    Your argument: Pitch-count is good because you’re (insert insult).
    Do you see how annoying you are yet?

11. ShawnSjostrom - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

LOVE IT!!!

12. ShawnSjostrom - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble JBerardi, but it was never stated (except by you) that he is an “expert”. Try reading things before you start acting like an ‘expert’ interpreter please. You ruin the debate by saying derogatory things rather than your opinion on the importance of a pitch count. In my opinion, BrokenRecord looks more like an expert than you ever will for the other side because of the ignorant things you type. As bigtrav says, and the point that BrokenRecord is trying to get across is this– “you can easily get hurt on your 150th pitch as you can your 10th,30th or 50th pitch.” Please say something of substance in response. If the pitch count is so beneficial, why are starting pitchers that are strictly held to it getting injured so often. Prior and Woods careers are ruined, Liriano may never be the same, among many other pitchers that have been held to 100 or less pitches…..oh and not to mention….the great Strasburg is done for the year too (remember, he was held to the pitch count as well).

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win