Aug 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Joe Nelson of KFAN radio is either an ignoramus or a troll. Maybe both. All I know is that someone who says stuff like this probably needs his medication adjusted:
We don’t live in a
“What if” world. We live in the real world. Kevin Slowey also lives in
the real world and he had a real chance to throw a real no-hitter. Now
that chance is gone because the pitch count and possibility of injury
said he couldn’t go on any longer. Give me a break! That’s the worst
ideology of all-time.
I am shocked at how many people are buying
into this pitch count crap. The pitch count has been worse for baseball
than the steroid era. There have only been 268 no-hitters in the
history of the game, and the freaking pitch count stood between Kevin
Slowey and number 269.
The “worst ideology of all time!” Darn tootin’! I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, but at least it’s an ethos that didn’t prevent a no-hitter.
More seriously speaking, this Nelson fellow can’t be serious. If he was, he wouldn’t launch into some inane rant about how, if we’re going to be so hoity-toity as to count pitches, we should count swings too. Actual quote from the guy: “There isn’t a
pitcher in major league baseball with a higher risk of injury than any
batter – regardless of the number of pitches thrown.” If Nelson can find a single person in organized baseball to agree with him on that point I will give him a shiny silver dollar. I hear that people like him like shiny things.
And yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Don’t link this, Craig! It’s what they want!” To which I respond: I really don’t care. If Nelson’s traffic numbers increase to such a degree that it leads to so great a proliferation of his blindingly ignorant garbage to where society will have nowhere else to turn for cogent analysis, the whole of sports media is doomed anyway.
Short of that, I take a decent amount of personal satisfaction in calling the guy stupid.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 24
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 23
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)