Aug 17, 2010, 8:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Players Association executive director Michael Weiner confirms that the player’s union will contest the Mets’ decision.
7:34 PM: The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, making his contract non-guaranteed.
Rodriguez won’t be paid while on the list, which at least reserves them the right to void the contract. Just a short while ago, Craig told us that the Mets won’t attempt to void the contract and from what Jeff Wilpon said during the conference call, it sure sounds like he will be activated once he proves he is recovered from thumb surgery during spring training next season.
In other words, he won’t be paid for the rest of this season (somewhere around $3 million) which is pretty much what we expected. It’s not known if the union will attempt to contest the team’s decision.
I’m no legal expert — that’s Craig’s bag — but I am a Mets fan. It’s only natural to have the knee-jerk reaction that the Mets should attempt to void the entire contract — and I had that fleeting feeling, as well — but they’d almost certainly be pushing their luck. The Mets have also given us little evidence to suggest that they would spend any of the money saved on K-Rod’s contract wisely.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)