Aug 17, 2010, 8:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Players Association executive director Michael Weiner confirms that the player’s union will contest the Mets’ decision.
7:34 PM: The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, making his contract non-guaranteed.
Rodriguez won’t be paid while on the list, which at least reserves them the right to void the contract. Just a short while ago, Craig told us that the Mets won’t attempt to void the contract and from what Jeff Wilpon said during the conference call, it sure sounds like he will be activated once he proves he is recovered from thumb surgery during spring training next season.
In other words, he won’t be paid for the rest of this season (somewhere around $3 million) which is pretty much what we expected. It’s not known if the union will attempt to contest the team’s decision.
I’m no legal expert — that’s Craig’s bag — but I am a Mets fan. It’s only natural to have the knee-jerk reaction that the Mets should attempt to void the entire contract — and I had that fleeting feeling, as well — but they’d almost certainly be pushing their luck. The Mets have also given us little evidence to suggest that they would spend any of the money saved on K-Rod’s contract wisely.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)