Aug 17, 2010, 8:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Players Association executive director Michael Weiner confirms that the player’s union will contest the Mets’ decision.
7:34 PM: The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, making his contract non-guaranteed.
Rodriguez won’t be paid while on the list, which at least reserves them the right to void the contract. Just a short while ago, Craig told us that the Mets won’t attempt to void the contract and from what Jeff Wilpon said during the conference call, it sure sounds like he will be activated once he proves he is recovered from thumb surgery during spring training next season.
In other words, he won’t be paid for the rest of this season (somewhere around $3 million) which is pretty much what we expected. It’s not known if the union will attempt to contest the team’s decision.
I’m no legal expert — that’s Craig’s bag — but I am a Mets fan. It’s only natural to have the knee-jerk reaction that the Mets should attempt to void the entire contract — and I had that fleeting feeling, as well — but they’d almost certainly be pushing their luck. The Mets have also given us little evidence to suggest that they would spend any of the money saved on K-Rod’s contract wisely.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)