Aug 17, 2010, 8:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Players Association executive director Michael Weiner confirms that the player’s union will contest the Mets’ decision.
7:34 PM: The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, making his contract non-guaranteed.
Rodriguez won’t be paid while on the list, which at least reserves them the right to void the contract. Just a short while ago, Craig told us that the Mets won’t attempt to void the contract and from what Jeff Wilpon said during the conference call, it sure sounds like he will be activated once he proves he is recovered from thumb surgery during spring training next season.
In other words, he won’t be paid for the rest of this season (somewhere around $3 million) which is pretty much what we expected. It’s not known if the union will attempt to contest the team’s decision.
I’m no legal expert — that’s Craig’s bag — but I am a Mets fan. It’s only natural to have the knee-jerk reaction that the Mets should attempt to void the entire contract — and I had that fleeting feeling, as well — but they’d almost certainly be pushing their luck. The Mets have also given us little evidence to suggest that they would spend any of the money saved on K-Rod’s contract wisely.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)