Aug 17, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
Milton Bradley’s season and maybe his terribly disappointing Mariners career could be over after he underwent surgery to repair torn cartilage in his right knee Tuesday.
Bradley hadn’t played for the Mariners since July 26. If he had undergone surgery right away, perhaps he would have been ready to return right around Sept. 1. However, he chose to wait three weeks. It’s still possible that he could make it back for the final two weeks of the season, but the Mariners probably don’t care much one way of the other.
Bradley, acquired from the Cubs for Carlos Silva in an exchange of unwanted properties over the winter, hit just .205/.292/.358 with eight homers and 29 RBI in 244 at-bats for the Mariners. Since leading the AL in OPS with the Rangers in 2008, he’s driven in a total of 69 runs in 197 games for the Cubs and Mariners.
Of course, he’s earned $18 million during that time. And he’s guaranteed another $12 million next year under the terms of the deal Cubs GM Jim Hendry gave him in Jan. 2009. The final year of the contract was voidable if Bradley spent enough time on the DL during his first season with the Cubs, but he remained relatively healthy then and it contained no provisions for any injuries suffered during the 2010 season.
The Mariners will undoubtedly attempt to move Bradley this winter, knowing they’ll have to kick in a load of money or take on another bad contract in order to make it happen. Even that might be enough. With so many teams likely to have serious concerns about whether he can contribute at all, it’s possible no one will want to risk taking on his issues.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)