Aug 17, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported yesterday that the Rockies have placed Brad Hawpe on waivers and now Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes that his “days in Denver may be numbered.”
Just a few weeks ago the Rockies were said to be telling teams that they couldn’t trade Hawpe, but now that they’re nine games out in the NL West and five games back in the Wild Card race that stance has apparently changed. According to Renck “the Rockies want to move Hawpe, who is owed about $2.2 million for the remainder of this season, so if he’s claimed they probably would try to work out a trade or simply let him go.”
His contract also has a $10 million team option or $500,000 buyout for 2011, so any team claiming Hawpe would risk being stuck with a $2.7 million bill. That seemingly makes it likely that he’ll pass through waivers unclaimed, which would allow the Rockies to shop him freely to any of the other 29 teams.
Hawpe has never been a good defensive corner outfielder and has struggled at the plate this season, hitting .252/.341/.430 with seven homers in 87 games, but he’s still relatively young at 31 and posted an OPS above .875 in each of the previous four seasons. And while Coors Field has certainly helped boost those numbers, he’s a career .274/.369/.470 hitter with an average of 24 homers per 550 at-bats on the road. If his nagging rib injury isn’t serious, he’d be a worthwhile stretch-run pickup for some team.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 22
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 153
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (169)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)