Aug 17, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
An industry source tells Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com that Jacoby Ellsbury suffered another fractured rib and is “probably” done for the rest of the season. The speedy center fielder was examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
Ellsbury, who just returned from the disabled list on August 4, suffered the fracture stumbling over first base after colliding with Tommy Hunter of the Rangers last Friday night.
It’s not yet clear if the new fracture is related to any of the previous five fractures Ellsbury suffered in a collision with Adrian Beltre in April.
We’re hearing he’s “probably” done right now, but considering how long it took him to come back from the previous fractures — and his subsequent and swift returns to the disabled list — the Red Sox are better served to let him rest for several months in order to properly rest and heal the fracture.
Ellsbury has played in just 18 of the team’s 120 games this season, batting .192/.241/.244 with five RBI and seven stolen bases.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)