Aug 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
Two years ago right-hander Shawn Chacon allegedly grabbed general manager Ed Wade by the neck and threw him to the ground during an argument, after which the Astros naturally terminated his contract and refused to pay the remaining $983,607 he was owed as part of a one-year, $2 million deal.
Chacon and the MLB players’ association filed a grievance, claiming that the termination was without just cause, but yesterday an arbitrator ruled against the pitcher.
“We’re pleased with the ruling,” Wade said in a statement. “It was an unfortunate incident and we’re glad to put it behind us.”
Chacon hasn’t pitched in the majors since being let go by Houston, which is what tends to happen to 30-year-olds with 4.99 career ERAs when they assault 53-year-old GMs. Worse, last year he was declared a fugitive while police tried to track him down over $150,000 in unpaid gambling debts in Las Vegas.
Even after losing out on $983,607 from the Astros he was paid around $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)