Aug 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Two years ago right-hander Shawn Chacon allegedly grabbed general manager Ed Wade by the neck and threw him to the ground during an argument, after which the Astros naturally terminated his contract and refused to pay the remaining $983,607 he was owed as part of a one-year, $2 million deal.
Chacon and the MLB players’ association filed a grievance, claiming that the termination was without just cause, but yesterday an arbitrator ruled against the pitcher.
“We’re pleased with the ruling,” Wade said in a statement. “It was an unfortunate incident and we’re glad to put it behind us.”
Chacon hasn’t pitched in the majors since being let go by Houston, which is what tends to happen to 30-year-olds with 4.99 career ERAs when they assault 53-year-old GMs. Worse, last year he was declared a fugitive while police tried to track him down over $150,000 in unpaid gambling debts in Las Vegas.
Even after losing out on $983,607 from the Astros he was paid around $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 130
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (130)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (106)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)