Aug 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Two years ago right-hander Shawn Chacon allegedly grabbed general manager Ed Wade by the neck and threw him to the ground during an argument, after which the Astros naturally terminated his contract and refused to pay the remaining $983,607 he was owed as part of a one-year, $2 million deal.
Chacon and the MLB players’ association filed a grievance, claiming that the termination was without just cause, but yesterday an arbitrator ruled against the pitcher.
“We’re pleased with the ruling,” Wade said in a statement. “It was an unfortunate incident and we’re glad to put it behind us.”
Chacon hasn’t pitched in the majors since being let go by Houston, which is what tends to happen to 30-year-olds with 4.99 career ERAs when they assault 53-year-old GMs. Worse, last year he was declared a fugitive while police tried to track him down over $150,000 in unpaid gambling debts in Las Vegas.
Even after losing out on $983,607 from the Astros he was paid around $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)