Aug 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Two years ago right-hander Shawn Chacon allegedly grabbed general manager Ed Wade by the neck and threw him to the ground during an argument, after which the Astros naturally terminated his contract and refused to pay the remaining $983,607 he was owed as part of a one-year, $2 million deal.
Chacon and the MLB players’ association filed a grievance, claiming that the termination was without just cause, but yesterday an arbitrator ruled against the pitcher.
“We’re pleased with the ruling,” Wade said in a statement. “It was an unfortunate incident and we’re glad to put it behind us.”
Chacon hasn’t pitched in the majors since being let go by Houston, which is what tends to happen to 30-year-olds with 4.99 career ERAs when they assault 53-year-old GMs. Worse, last year he was declared a fugitive while police tried to track him down over $150,000 in unpaid gambling debts in Las Vegas.
Even after losing out on $983,607 from the Astros he was paid around $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement