Aug 17, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore has the breakdown of the up-to-the-deadline Bryce Harper negotiations that resulted in his signing last night.
It’s a good read because Kilgore is a good reporter. Still, I can’t help but think that Stan Kasten and Mike Rizzo are milking this a bit. I’d really like to catch Boras or those guys in an unguarded moment and find out what, exactly, was left to negotiate at 11:59 or whatever it was.
My skepticism is just that — skepticism — not doubt based on some concrete information of any kind. I just can’t help but feel that these things are 99% done and that each side has an incentive to push things up to the deadline even if everyone at the table knows that a deal is in place.
A bit of a detail that adds to my skepticism: Kasten and Rizzo had the whole pie-in-the-face and silver Elvis wig thing ready in the conference room when the deal was announced (pic). If the outcome of the negotiations was in doubt would they have that routine ready?
And yes, I realize I’m being a bit of a killjoy here. I just don’t take much of a shine to midnight deadlines and all of the drama — some real, much of it manufactured — they often entail.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)