Aug 17, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore has the breakdown of the up-to-the-deadline Bryce Harper negotiations that resulted in his signing last night.
It’s a good read because Kilgore is a good reporter. Still, I can’t help but think that Stan Kasten and Mike Rizzo are milking this a bit. I’d really like to catch Boras or those guys in an unguarded moment and find out what, exactly, was left to negotiate at 11:59 or whatever it was.
My skepticism is just that — skepticism — not doubt based on some concrete information of any kind. I just can’t help but feel that these things are 99% done and that each side has an incentive to push things up to the deadline even if everyone at the table knows that a deal is in place.
A bit of a detail that adds to my skepticism: Kasten and Rizzo had the whole pie-in-the-face and silver Elvis wig thing ready in the conference room when the deal was announced (pic). If the outcome of the negotiations was in doubt would they have that routine ready?
And yes, I realize I’m being a bit of a killjoy here. I just don’t take much of a shine to midnight deadlines and all of the drama — some real, much of it manufactured — they often entail.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)