Aug 18, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
John Gambadoro of KTAR-620 in Arizona reports that Adam LaRoche has cleared waivers, meaning the Diamondbacks can make him available in trade talks with any team.
LaRoche has hit .272/.339/.489 with 20 homers and 26 doubles in 113 games, which is basically identical to his .273/.342/.492 career line. He’s far from an elite offensive first baseman, but would make for a nice stretch-run pickup for any contender in need of a solid bat from the left side.
However, his contract is why he cleared waivers unclaimed and could make him a tricky target. He’s owed about $1.5 million for the rest of this season and LaRoche’s deal also has a $7.5 million mutual option for 2011 that increases to $9.5 million if he’s traded and includes a $1.5 million buyout.
In other words, unless a contender wants to keep him around for next season at $9.5 million the commitment for this year would be about $3 million for 40 or so games. Depending on how much salary the Diamondbacks are willing to eat, of course.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)